Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12,928 Posts
I would have it professionally done. My neighbors had their large foyer window tinted because the sun was fading the hardwood floors. Same is happening to ours........

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
I know with car window tinting it's waaay better to get a pro to do it. I'd assume it's the same rule of thumb for house windows.

That said, I've never gotten anything tinted personally, so don't take it as the gospel truth. :)

G

·
AIM, be careful that it doesn't void the warranty on your windows if you have film applied. I worked for a window manufacturer once and he had it in his warranty that any film applied to the windows would void the warranty for the windows. I can't tell you how many customers I had scream at me when they found out.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Last summer I bought some do it yourself stuff at Lowes and managed to get them on the western windows (where nobody could see them). It was a terrible job because of all the wrinkles, but it did the trick! to get it off you just buy some spray stuff and it should peel right off.

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
JLMom said:
AIM, be careful that it doesn't void the warranty on your windows if you have film applied. I worked for a window manufacturer once and he had it in his warranty that any film applied to the windows would void the warranty for the windows. I can't tell you how many customers I had scream at me when they found out.
This is very true. The company I work for built a small building for a church. They installed an aftermarket window film several months after we were done. The windows started to cloud up. They called us figuring it was a warranty item but the manufacturer just laughed at our request for replacements when the rep saw that they were filmed.

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
kpowell said:
Last summer I bought some do it yourself stuff at Lowes and managed to get them on the western windows (where nobody could see them). It was a terrible job because of all the wrinkles, but it did the trick! to get it off you just buy some spray stuff and it should peel right off.
I have recently had to remove the DIY stuff from windows in our rental property...........what a horrible experience that was :-\ My advice would be to get it professionally installed.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
When you have the film professionally installed, they will give you a warranty to take the place of your original window window (at lease that is what happened with ours), since having the film installed will void your window warranty. The reason is when the film is installed the chance of breakage is higher because the glass gets hotter......if that makes any sense at all.

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone. I didn't realize I could get it done professionally! I'll have to find somewhere that does it in my area and look into it. ;)

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
I was all jazzed, until I read that part about the potential for windows breaking due to the heat. I'll want it done professionally in the new house, but I'm not putting anything more than what I have to here since I'm selling.

Thanks for this thread though, I love sun streaming in during the Winter, but it's too hot in the Summer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts