Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pros? Cons?

Jason has a 2-year job opportunity there we are considering. We'll be able to come back here, and he can resume back to his job like he never left at the end of the two years.

Part of me thinks it may be fun to get away for a couple of years, and it would be a wonderful learning experience for the boys. Another part of me doesn't like the idea of being THAT far away from our families. We've never been more than a hour away from mine and 5-6 hours away from his (or 2.5 hours if we meet in the middle like we did this weekend when we took the boys to the science museum). We're very close to my parents and his mom, and I think that would be the hardest part.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I haven't been - but I say go for it :) I'm assuming the company will be paying for your housing and such?

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Jason is military, correct? Would you be on base?

I say go for it! Think of what a great life experience it would be for you and your boys.

Of course, it is easy for me to say since I am not facing that type of decision.

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I think when life offers you these rare opportunities, you don't turn them down lightly. The experience of living in a foreign country is unparalled and truly gives you lasting memories and real appreciation for different people and different points of view.

I bet your boys could learn life lessons there that wouldn't normally be available. I'd so go =)

·
Registered
52 Posts
I am HOPING keith gets stationed there in the near future! Our friends who have been there said they loved it! I say go for it! It's not everyday you can have an opportunity like that--atleast not for most ppl!

·
Registered
149 Posts
My dad was in the Air Force and we were stationed there when I was 10 - 12 years old. I loved it there and have been back twice for short visits as an adult. (My mom is Japanese.)

I would say yes -- two years will go by before you know it.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
My BR was stationed there and loved it. My dad was stationed in Toyko when I was 18 months to 4 1/2 and I still have a few memories of there. I say go for it. Just take the attitude my parents raised us with as we lived all over the world. "When in Rome do as the Romans do". In other words be prepared to adapt to the culture don't expect it to adapt to you.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
My friend's hubby was there for a while w/ his work. He loved his maid, she was dirt cheap. He also loved shopping!!

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Jason isin the air guard, but this job will be with his civil service job. They are needing mangement positions for training purposes for a couple of years. I'm glad to hear others had good experiences there. It looks like a really nice area, but I've been to some pretty bad bases that looked really nice online too! lol

I think we're up for it. Jason still has 5 years left in the National Guard, so I'm not sure what to do about that. He has drill next weekend, and he's going to talk to his shop supervisor there to see what can be done in this situation. I think they'll probably end up determining whether we go or not.

Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
149 Posts
One other thing to consider is whether or not you'll be taking pets. You will want to look into that for sure. Some places have very long quarantine periods and I've known people who turned down assignments because of their pets.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Sounds like an amazing opportunity, Gail!! What will you do with the animals?

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
One other thing to consider is whether or not you'll be taking pets. You will want to look into that for sure. Some places have very long quarantine periods and I've known people who turned down assignments because of their pets.
Yes, that's definitely something else to consider. I also know bases have limits on how many pets are allowed too. It's something we've also been talking about, because I can't imagine choosing which two or three to take. My parents would watch them for the two years we're away and give them back (we'd pay for food and vet care of course), but that's a long time to be away from them. :(

The Kadena's link to Japan's pet policy does say that if you live in on-base housing (which the job says we would), your pet can complete the quarantine time at home if they pass their initial examinations (which they should do easily looking at the guidelines).

I don't think the birds or Dexter (our chameleon) will even be an option to go though. I can't find any information about them...just cats and dogs. :(

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I apologize for all my typos today. We have a wireless keyboard, and I think the batteries are running low since it's skipping some letters at times.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My husband use to live there before we were married. I'd be happy to ask him anything for you.
I think the only major concerns we have right now is how's the cost of living there and how are the DOD sponsored schools? We've been researching Kadena a lot since this opportunity came up, and we've been able to find out most of what we were curious about (typhoons, earthquakes, American sentiments in the area, etc...). :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts