Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yes! Matter of fact, Damned Cafeteria Guy made it today!

I'm not a big fan of fish, but I love this stuff!! Not fishy at all. :)

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
tilapia?

had it in a restaurant and it was delish. bought it and tried to prepare it at home and blech!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
I've had it in restaurants and like it a lot. I bought some at the grocery store for home and then the big report came out about fish farms in China and I freaked out and threw it away.

·
Registered
2,348 Posts
bland nice white fish....does take readily to other flavors...
Exactly, thats why it turned out so good in the smoker. We rubbed it with spices first then added a nice port wine to the water in the smoker. I wouldn't put it at the top of my list. Arctic Char would be top of the list for me, then lake pickerel, then lake perch.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
no, because I associate tilapia with this:

Honolulu's canal tilapia, however, are not for eating. The state Department of Health has issued a warning against eating tilapia from these urban places because the fishes' flesh contains heavy metal and other pollutants.
Seen them swimming in the Ala Wai Canal and the canal is gross!!
I can't get past that.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
It is the only fish my kids will eat because it is so mild. It is pretty bland unless cooked and seasoned correctly. Not my favorite, but it is cheaper than other kinds of fish.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
i love orange roughy! recently tasted grilled mahi mahi with a mango chutney and that was a hit as well. my favorite less expensive fish is cod.

my mom's favorite is rainbow trout. ugh, it tastes like dirt to me.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Love it! We coat it with cajun seasoning and fry it in a pan :)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
It is bad for your cholesterol compared to some others. It doesn't contain as much of the good fats, considering all of the high protien, high in efa fishes out there.

ETA Tilapia is rather high in omega 6 which is an an inflamitory. Not that it's not healthy at all. I was a bit hasty.

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
The tilapia I've had is not fatty at all...actually very lean and low in fat and calories...especially compared to something like salmon. It is very mild and easy to cook. I do like orange roughy better, though. I don't each much fish though because it's mostly all farm raised. Real wild caught salmon costs twice as much as ribeyes or as much as prime rib...and I'd rather have the beef.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts