Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have two new make-your-own-dinners places in our city. I'm tempted to try it. In a 2-hour period you make 12 meals, serving 6 ppl (or break them up into smaller servings), and the prep work and clean up is all done for you. They feature a monthly menu you can choose your meals from. You package everything up for the freezer with directions for cooking. It doesn't even seem all that expensive per serving, but its a matter of dropping $200+ in one day, not knowing how they will turn out.

Here is a link to one of the ones in my city:
http://www.whatsforsupper.ca/

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That is the coolest thing EVER! What a great idea! I'd definitely do it if they had 'em around here.
The menu made me hungry. :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I didn't think the prices were bad at all, compared to what I would spend at the grocery store for the ingredients.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'm wondering about actual serving sizes... I'm guessing that their 6 servings would actually be one dinner and one lunch for DH and I each.

Don't forget, those menus are in Cdn dollars, so they are bound to look a little more expensive. ;)

One cool thing is that you can go with a friend and split it... make 6 meals each. So that might be the best bet for a 1st timer.

G

·
I've always really wanted to try one but being single it just seemed a lot of money and too much food. If we have one around here I might have to try it now though.

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think my SIL are going to try it, maybe in April. The pork, chicken and salmon dishes look great to me. I wouldn't bother with a stir-fry, they are so easy to make anyhow!

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Not the same, but me and a friend used to get together once a month and make meals for the month. It was a lot of fun. It took a full day, and it really didn't cost too much (but we only made meals for 3-4 nights a week). We both hated it when her husband got transferred. So...if you decide not to do one of these places, maybe doing it with friends is an option? It really goes by fast...even the worst part of the job - cleanup!

Interesting concept though - we don't have any of those places around here.

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
I've never tried it, but we have one around here that seems to be popular. They also have fitness meals. I think it's about $200 for 12 meals or $100 for 5. I have tried the beer bread from there and it is soooo good!

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
My sister lives in Washington state and she tried it when she was working full time with 2 young children and a dog. She loved it. Cut meal prep time for her.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts
I just went to one on March 6 ... it's called Let's Dish (http://www.letsdish.com/). I did the 8-meal package for $170, but I split them into 16 meals. It was a party with 12 friends ... but there was not alot of socializing going on ... we were all really focused on getting the meals done in time ... we had a standard 2-hour session, and that was really not enough time. Here is what I came home with:

Here are my pros and cons regarding the meals:

Pros
1. Love the fact that I have pre-seasoned and pre-assembled meals in the freezer. I don't have to think of something to make.
2. The serving sizes were generous (but not ridiculous). Even with the fact that I split, the meals feed me and SU, and provide lunch for SU the next day.
3. Meats were lean, and cooking methods were healthy.

Cons
1. Still have to create side dishes to match the meals ... i.e. steamed veggie, salad, etc.
2. Still using multiple pans to cook each night, so post-dinner clean-up is about the same as it has always been.
3. The seasonings aren't always what we like as a family.
4. Definitely meat-focused meals ... I'm surprised how quickly I missed having a big salad for dinner.

So ... I will probably take the organizational aspects and run with them ... maybe make a few items at home and stash them in the freezer. I don't think I would do another full 8-meal package at the store.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.