Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm starting to get a little concerned. Harley (11 weeks old tomorrow) seems to do nothing but sleep! All day long, it's curl up on the quilt and snoozing away. We took him to the park this morning for about an hour and walked maybe a half mile on the trails to get to the kids play area, but once there, he curled up under the picnic table I sat at and went out like a light again. Don't get me wrong, he does have moments of play, especially around water. We took him to a lake yesterday and I'll tell about that in another thread, but suffice to say, he went nuts in the water. As soon as he was done, back to sleep again...

He is still getting over the worms, and he is still a baby. Am I expecting too much activity here?

Kevin

·
Registered
702 Posts
Sawyer slept ALOT when he was 12 weeks. He just needed a walk around the block and, by the time we got home he would plop down legs spread out on the grass lol. He would have breaks of play occasionally. But mainly he slept...and ate....and slept....and went potty.....and slept some more ;).

But a tuckered out puppy is a happy puppy!

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
You will miss these days. I guarantee it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Puppies do sleep alot, just like human babies. If you look closely, you will see him growing in his sleep :) I can't believe how fast my 11 week old Golden is growing - already 21 lbs!!!

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
for every month your dog is old you should be exercising them for 5 minutes until they are 12 months old and then it's 60 minutes of exercise every day required to keep your lab healthy, happy and relatively non-destructive hehe. So 15 minutes of exercise should be the absolute maximum that your dog needs at this age. If you are over-extending him you will run the risk of working his joints too much and then possible health problems down the track.

He is a B-A-B-Y! What do human babies do lots of? Sleep?!?! Yes! Why? Because they are growing. So is your puppy! Don't worry about it....... one day you will wish that he was sleeping rather than demanding you for attention and exercise.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Has Harley had all his shots already? If he hasn't, you should keep him away from areas where other dogs go or could have been, just so he doesn't pick something up disease-wise.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He had his shots yesterday at the vet. :). Never even whimpered...

We went to Petco to socialize and the little wuss was afraid of every dog in the place. ;)

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
The shots could also make him tired. Don't force him to socialize at this point. Wait until he feels better or you could permanently scar his personality.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I hope I don't come across as being insensitive or pushing Harley too hard. I was just kidding...

At Petco, I encouraged him to socialize with the other dogs, but when he acted afraid, I gladly let him fall back to where he was comfortable. The whole thread was meant to be more humorous than complaintive. I am perfectly happy where Harley is in his development and enjoy every second of it. ;)

Kevin

·
Registered
10,345 Posts
Nothing to add, except I had the same thoughts with Tal when he came home almost 3 years ago. At 11 weeks, he is still a baby and they will be going all out one minute and then drop the next. Plus, as others have said, like with human babies, they all sleep alot because they need it and its perfectly normal.

Harley (love the name!) sounds pretty normal to me! I notice that even now when I take mine to get their shots, for about a day after they seem a little sedate. That wears off by the next day tho!

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
for every month your dog is old you should be exercising them for 5 minutes until they are 12 months old and then it's 60 minutes of exercise every day required to keep your lab healthy, happy and relatively non-destructive hehe. So 15 minutes of exercise should be the absolute maximum that your dog needs at this age. If you are over-extending him you will run the risk of working his joints too much and then possible health problems down the track.

He is a B-A-B-Y! What do human babies do lots of? Sleep?!?! Yes! Why? Because they are growing. So is your puppy! Don't worry about it....... one day you will wish that he was sleeping rather than demanding you for attention and exercise.
I agree with this. Let him sleep. You'll get a higher activity level as he grows then you'll wonder what happened to your sleeping puppy!!:D

1 - 18 of 18 Posts