Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its taken me 3 months to make this decision. We decided to rehome Penny so we placed an advert with our vet and a family came to see her tonight.

The reason being she is far too dominant now she needs to be the only dog in the family so I advertised for that and ppl with kids over 10 as she can sometimes be snappy.

They seem great, have been looking for a dog for months, kids are well behaved..they are picking her up Monday. They are just a lovely family and seemed to really like her.

Its been hard but I feel its for the best :'(

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm sorry. I don't know the story on Penny, but that has to have been a heartwrenching decision. It sounds like she's getting a great family though. Will you be able to keep in touch with them?

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have promised to keep in touch :)

Penny has changed in the past year she growls and once snapped at visitors, wont let any other dogs in the house which is hard as i dogsit for alot of people, has become snappy with the kids. We took her to the vets who checked her over and nothing wrong there, we tried local trainers and not one of them could help her. She even started getting funny with alfie nipping at him ankles and snarling if he went near her.

·
Registered
1,782 Posts
I'm sorry I know how hard of a decision it can be. I hope the new family is great for her and she will have a great life with them.

·
Registered
74 Posts
She is 6 Jackie and a mixed breed terrier
I think that is the problem. Before I started looking at getting a lab, I thought I wanted a jack russell terrier. They are cool looking dogs, and somewhat small and enegertic. But looking at some information regarding the breed, I found that they can be quite snappy and territorial. Most breeders advise you not leave more than 2 males together, alone at the same time. There were stories of families coming home to find their cats killed by jack russells. One website literally said don't leave your JRT alone with your cat unless there is a high platform for your cat to jump to.

I'm assuming Penny was a rescue dog, and thus didn't receive the training and attention a terrier mix would need in order to counteract the negative qualities of terriers. That said, with terriers it is so ingrained in their DNA to hunt and be brave that it may not have made much of a difference.

Hopefully Penny has found her home.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
If it's any consolation Karen, I don't think any vet would recommend someone for adoption if they didn't know for sure that person was a genuine dog lover. I've adopted 3 dogs over the years & all of them through my vets including my GSD. Hopefully, assuming they were existing clients of your vet, you'll get feedback from him/her re how she's doing in her new home.

It must have been a hell of a decision to make. I hope I'm not ever in that position.

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think that is the problem. Before I started looking at getting a lab, I thought I wanted a jack russell terrier. They are cool looking dogs, and somewhat small and enegertic. But looking at some information regarding the breed, I found that they can be quite snappy and territorial. Most breeders advise you not leave more than 2 males together, alone at the same time. There were stories of families coming home to find their cats killed by jack russells. One website literally said don't leave your JRT alone with your cat unless there is a high platform for your cat to jump to.

I'm assuming Penny was a rescue dog, and thus didn't receive the training and attention a terrier mix would need in order to counteract the negative qualities of terriers. That said, with terriers it is so ingrained in their DNA to hunt and be brave that it may not have made much of a difference.

Hopefully Penny has found her home.
Actually we had her from 8 weeks :( but 1st time dog owners back then and never did the research for terriers and never really trained her properly

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
This must have been so difficult for you. It sounds as though you've gotten her a good home.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
Penny is a cairn mix right?

I am so sorry that it didn't work harmoniously in your household with Penny.

Cricket is a cairn and she is great with other dogs, but I always worry that it will change someday.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I'm sorry Karen, that had to be really hard. :(

I hope she was spayed before she went though, as I remember you saying she wasn't a while ago...?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Sorry youve had to make this decision...ive had to rehome before and its a really really hard thing to do...but if you know its for the best for everyone its all you can do. Good luck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts