Just Labradors banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hershey Kisses and I are going to a different dog park this past week. We are getting to know the peeps and dogs. Today, we meet two very happy black labs. A 1 year old and a 10 year old with a missing leg. The 10 year old, came stsaraight to me for some petting before taking off after a ball. I talk to all the dogs and told him that he was really lucky that he had someone that loved him enough to be taking care of him. The owner then shared the story that he was diagnosed with bone cancer in his left rear leg. The vet gave him 6 months with radiation, 12 months maybe with chemo. They asked about amputation and were told it would be a crap shoot. If the cancer had already spread, who knew. If it hadn't, maybe he lives to a ripe old age. That was two years ago. Chilly (the dog) doesn't seem to care that a leg is missing. He was having a great time playing with his little sister, HK, and all the other dogs that we passed. I thought it was great they the owners chose the path they did and it worked for Chilly. Just had to share.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
That's great for Chilly and his people!

·
Registered
37 Posts
I realize this is an old post but I just posted a new thread asking about amputation. Thanks so much for posting this. It's good to hear.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
It is amazing how well most dogs do after amputation. My daughter's first mini-doxie broke one of her front legs and it would not heal even with two grafs. The vet told her she had two choices; amputate the leg and let her live with 3 legs or put her to sleep because the bad leg had a huge chance of getting infected and would start to poison her system. After a huge family discussion of the benefits and consequences she chose to have the surgery and amputate the leg. Cheyenne was up running and playing in 3 days and she never, ever showed any signs that having only 3 legs caused her any problems. Thanks for sharing the story HK's Dad. It made me smile knowing this family chose life for their dog too. Just warms your heart. :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts