Just Labradors banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight is the first night of the Passover Holiday which celebrates the exodus from Egypt and a life of slavery. Here's a wikipedia link if you want to learn more.

As in most celebrations, family and food are of #1 importance. I've been cooking since Thursday!! The aroma since then has been amazing. Here's our menu

Gefilte Fish with beet horseradish (don't ask me to describe this one, it's very traditional and an acquired taste!!)
Chopped liver with sautee'd onions
Homemade turkey soup w/veggies and matzoh balls
Brisket
Sweet & Sour chicken
Potatoe Kugel
Apple Kugel
Butternut Squash in a honey orange sauce
Fresh fruit and brownies for dessert

Oh yes, and lots of wine!!

Since we don't use rising flour/yeast during this holiday...we use eggs, lots of eggs, I'd say about 5 dozen so far. Each "baked" item uses close to 7/8 eggs. Can you say....Hello Cholesterol!!

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Yes!! Happy Passover to one and all!! I hope you all are having a fantastic day - I hope all your cooking went well, and you are surrounded by good friends and family! ;D ;D ;D

·
Registered
6,788 Posts
Happy Passover.

Enjoy your time with your family. :)

J

·
0 Posts
Neat. I went to a friends house once for a "seder meal".

Question, you cant use yeast, but can you use baking soda?

edit: Oh yeah, Happy Passover!

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JollyMolly said:
Neat. I went to a friends house once for a "seder meal".

Question, you cant use yeast, but can you use baking soda?

edit: Oh yeah, Happy Passover!
I'm no authority, and I don't know about the baking soda, but you can use baking powder.

B

·
0 Posts
Happy Passover and what a menu! That sounds yummy and I'm homesick now...can you send me a care package if you have some leftovers?

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BudGirl8 said:
Happy Passover and what a menu! That sounds yummy and I'm homesick now...can you send me a care package if you have some leftovers?
Leftovers?? Not usually, but I'll let ya know if there are any!! Better yet, why don't you just hop over, we'll be eating in about 10 minutes!!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Happy Passover to all who celebrate.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Happy passover

we just got back from having dinner at sherri's bro's house
they had a horseradish with a hint of cranberry in it - that was something new
and all the usual dishes
no wine for me - I held up my glass with cherry coke

·
Registered
7,901 Posts
Happy Passover! I'm just getting here now --- 1:15 a.m.!!! Guests are gone, all is cleaned up and put away. Now to collapse into bed!

B

·
0 Posts
einsteins legacy said:
Leftovers?? Not usually, but I'll let ya know if there are any!! Better yet, why don't you just hop over, we'll be eating in about 10 minutes!!
Thanks for the invite...I wish I could've made it!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts