Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It was one year ago today that I officially adopted Brigetta. Prudence woke me in the middle of the night to go to the bathroom (very unusual). When I turned the porch light on, I saw this little brown fur ball in the corner of my porch. She looked tired and scared. I quickly took Prudence out the front door to use the bathroom, then came back. When I tried to approach her, she just looked at me, then ran off towards the wooded area. I put out a bowl of food and water, and when I woke the next morning, she was there. Whenever I would open the sliding glass doors, she would run off, so I started going out the front and walking around to the back. She would play bow around Prudence, but if I came near her, she was off to the woods. When I would come home from lunch, she would hear my voice and come running from the wooded area towards me (this broke my heart), but still wouldn’t let me near her. Eventually, I ended up opening the sliding glass doors, and putting food right inside and when she came for it I closed the doors. I felt bad for this because she terrified.

I later found out from neighbors that for almost two weeks, this scared little puppy was roaming around the complex where I live, running off to the woods anytime someone would come close to her, but that at night I guess she would sleep on my porch. After posting “lost dog” notices, going to people’s doors, the paper, etc., I contacted a local rescue. We discussed the possibility of me fostering her. I was concerned because not long before Prudence had suffered a stroke.

Ironically, I was pet sitting my friend’s new chocolate lab puppy, Java. Prior to all of this I kept telling him, I want a lab, I want a lab.

Deep down, I knew, that if I could make this work with Prudence, she was meant to be with me. Everyone was against it. Reminding me of Prudence’s health, that I was now on my own financially, etc. When someone answered my add bout the lost dog, I was secretly happy to find out that they were looking for a white dog. And even later when my vet didn’t find a microchip in her, I let out a sigh of relief.

On Sunday, May 14th, I brought Brigetta to the rescue to make arrangements for shots, etc., she got sick; they found wrappers she must have eaten out of the garbage for food. I looked around at the other dogs, wagging their tails, barking, and then I looked at Brigetta, scared and shaking. I new I had to adopt her myself…and I did!

Brigetta has changed my life forever. She has opened my eyes to so much to rescue, adoption, animal abuse, bad breeding, and most of all to the importance of second chances.
I LOVE YOU, my sweet baby (even thought you chewed up my hair brush this morning while I was in the shower ;) )!!!

This was one of the first pictures of Brigetta on my back porch, I had to zoom in to take it, so she wouldn't run from me.

I'm hungry mom!

Just kidding mom...I love my new sister!

A happy smile!

Night, night. (taken last month)

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
I didn't know "Brigetta's story" until now. What a wonderful thing you did for her. You opened your heart and your home. What a leap of faith. She is such a cutie. Love the pics.

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY, BRIGETTA

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
happy gotcha day brigetta!
how blessed you both were to have found each other!! :)

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Happy Gotcha Day, BRIGETTA, you pretty little girl :-*

I love her "story"....you 2 were truly meant to be together. I'm so happy she found you.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Teresa, I had no idea! What an excellent story. It made me want to cry tears of sadness for her and then overwhelming tears of happiness that you adopted her.

HAPPY GOTCHA DAY, YOU LUCKY GIRL!! :-* :-*

·
Registered
2,688 Posts
Happy Gotcha Day, Brigetta!!
Thanks for sharing her story with us; what a great story!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
HAPPY GOTCHA DAY BRIDGETTA!!!

That is such a heartwarming story! I was practically :'( just thinking about that poor little chocolate baby all alone, scared and hungry. You were without a doubt her :angel:

·
Registered
549 Posts
Teresa, you and Brigetta were destined to be together. Thanks goodness you found her. (or I guess she found you) She probably knew in her heart that you would take good care of her even though she was scared. She wasn't wrong!!!!
Happy gotcha day Brigetta. Hope your mama spoils you rotten today
Pat

C

·
0 Posts
My goodness, what a story! Brigetta was lucky to find you!
Happy Gotcha Day, Brigetta! ;D

·
Registered
99 Posts
aaawww thats a sad story, but with such a happy ending, im so glad brigetta
found someone as kind as you (and i guess she is to!) love and hugs to you
both, from me and charlie xxx

1 - 20 of 26 Posts