Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone has been asking about the seniors I have so I thought I would post a photo update.

First Happy Hank :D

That is exactly what he is, HAPPY! He is doing so well. Follows me around the yard, bouncing up and down for attention. He still has not made a sound yet. Not a bark or whine or anything. He just smiles and runs around like a happy boy.

He did have a seizure at 5am Thursday morning, but it was very short and he recovered quickly. That was his first in over 3 weeks so we are definitely making progress.

My darling Maddie is next. She turned 17 on March 10 and she is still going strong. I took a few pix of her napping.

The old girl still has it and runs around with dogs a quarter of her age. Unfortunately, as you can see, the tumor on her front leg is getting very large. It does not cause her any pain at all and she does not even seem to notice it. Because of her age the vet will not remove it, so we just keep an eye on it and give her lots of love.

That is not a problem though, because loving Maddie is a very easy thing to do. Molly Poole has agreed to do a painting of her and Diesel so I am trying to pick out just the perfect pictures of them to keep as my forever memory of them both. I am so sorry to say, but I don't think Maddie or Diesel will see another Christmas.

Diesel dog. Big D is one of those dogs that always looks beaten. Pull out a camera and he puts on "the face". He really is a happy guy at 15 years old, but he is starting to get very stiff. Supplements have not helped at all, but he is still getting around and does not seem to be in pain.

As with most old labs, he has lots of lumps and bumps. He had a mast cell tumor removed about 4 years ago, but seems pretty good for his age.

Max Max Max is just a crazy man! This is the best picture I could get of him because he thought the camera was food and he kept trying to eat it :)

Other than his partially paralyzed larynx that can cause him to go into respiratory arrest at any time, he is in surprisingly good shape. He has alway been on the very thin side and I think that is what keeps him so lively. He will just go out in the yard and wander around for hours. Slow and steady, thats Max.

This is Alce, the Redbone hound. Just throwing her in for good measure and some exposure. She is not a senior at only 6 years old, and she is up for adoption if you know anyone looking. Just figured I would check :)

And finally, my train wreck of a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, Bailey. Poor old girl only has 3 legs, displaysia in her "good" leg, mammary tumors, hormone imbalance that causes her hair to fall out, severe dog aggression, and the newest thing as of the last few weeks, lymphoma :( Poor old Bailey is 12 and is the one dog that I don't think will be here much longer at all.

She has a lot of trouble walking and getting up, and is really on a day to day basis with her condition.

We have had "the talk" and she has not told me yet that it is time. She is still eating and still likes a good roll in the grass, so for today she is OK.

There is still a spark in her eyes and a smile on her face, but when that leaves it will be time. The old girl can still get around when she needs to. She was across the yard and I ask her if she wanted a treat, this was her response!

I thought she was going to plow me over. She was really moving!

Well, that's it for the really old dogs here. Of course I have about 5 more that are 10 or 11, but they are all doing pretty well. Maybe I will post pix of them some time, but for now I am sure you have seen enough. Thanks for thinking of our oldsters, they are a joy to have around for sure.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Oh Joe,

You are so good to them. You love for each and every one comes through in your tales about them. I love the picture of Bailey running for the treat. Give them all a hip rub and hug for me.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Reading this brings tears to my eyes. Old dogs are sweet treasures, as are those who love them and treat them well. Thank you, Joe.

·
Registered
841 Posts
Your a good soul, Joe. The pups all look happy and well loved.

·
Registered
12,420 Posts
Joe, what a lovely way to start a morning, looking at those beautiful senior faces. You are an amazing man, I know you love them deeply. Please continue to post pics and keep us updated. I keep you in my prayers for all you do to help those sweet seniors. I can see why you love them. :) Thanks for all you do.

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
Keeping those special seniors in my thoughts Joe.

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
They all look very happy.,...... and they are blessed to have found a home with you....... thanks for sharing your beloved old souls.

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Thanks for the pictures Joe, I would love to hug them all. But I'm still a Diesel fan.

B

·
0 Posts
thank you for the wonderful pictures and updates. they all look so good. thanks to you for all that you do. you have a special soul and i am sure that all the dogs love you for what you do.

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Tears in my eyes... :) Thank you for the wonderful pics of some incredible, wonderful, sweet dogs. I'm so happy to see Happy Hank, Our beautiful Maddie, handsome Diesel, gorgeous Max and sweet Bailey. I love them all.

Seniors are the best thing in the whole wide world, aren't they?! :)

BTW Alce is very pretty. I bet she will be adopted in no time!

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
thanks for sharing your seniors with us. they look so happy! wishing you many many days together!

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Loved all athe pictures ....... they are such great dogs!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
you sure do have some beautiful old pups there - they are lucky to have you

·
Registered
6,597 Posts
It makes me sad to see them grow old with all the ailments that naturally follow but I know how lucky these old furkids are to live out their senior days with the love and kindness they have found by your hand. Thanks for the fabulous photos and stories!!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts