Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a year ago I started naming which lab should retrieve the throw. "SEAMUS! Heads up!" Or "FLYNNIE! Look sharp!" Now, I just say their name.

At first, both of them would head out to make the retrieve. Whoever got to the ball first or caught it first would bring it back to me. (Don't really know how they figured out the "to hand" thing, but they each did... I did not teach it to them.)

They quickly caught on to nominations. I began naming which boy should retrieve which throw. When I realized they had figured this out, I began reinforcing with appropriate praise for each dog on their special retrieve.

A year later, we begin with what I will call "open field" throws... the "warm-up session"... whoever gets the first dozen or so gets biggest praise. But after those first few? I nominate; Seamus or Flynn. OMG! One waits for the other to make their retrieve! No hogging the retrieve by either dog. Then both come running in... "Which one of us will it be next, mom?!? Which one!"

I love this stuff with labs... I really do! Did I ever mention that before?

:happy:

·
Registered
4,075 Posts
: - )

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
I doubt that I could ever get HK to play fetch that way. I have tried getting her to sit at my side until I throw and release. Not going to happen. If I have a ball in my hand, she is out there 25 yards bouncing around watching for the throw. If I put it in my pocket, she will run back and dance, nose the pocket, yip, whatever. It is a real show for anyone else that might be around. She knows how to entertain a crowd, when MEAN DADDY WON'T THROW THE BALL ALREADY!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
What smart boys you have there, Nance!!! It sounds like that's their most favorite thing to do with Mommy. :D

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Endofile said:
I doubt that I could ever get HK to play fetch that way. I have tried getting her to sit at my side until I throw and release. Not going to happen. If I have a ball in my hand, she is out there 25 yards bouncing around watching for the throw. If I put it in my pocket, she will run back and dance, nose the pocket, yip, whatever. It is a real show for anyone else that might be around. She knows how to entertain a crowd, when MEAN DADDY WON'T THROW THE BALL ALREADY!
Nope can't do that with Thunder or Simba either...Bud has no interest.

I like that they do that for you. Smart puppies!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts