Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We had an absolutley awesome time at the Red Wing game Saturday. I had never been to a Stanley Cup Final game before. What electricity in the arena. I think we spent $50 on just beer! LOL. At $8.75 a beer it's not hard. Here are a couple of pics we took with our camera phones. 2 more to go!!! We sat almost at the top but we could see great. I don't think there is truely a bad seat in Joe Louis Arena.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
what sport were you seeing? (for us ignorant Australians who have no idea what a Red Wing is...)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
oooh... no we don't really do ice hockey here. But I am glad you had a great time!!! :)

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
crikey. Looks so dangerous LOL.

Is that dude holding an octopus??!?!

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
crikey. Looks so dangerous LOL.

Is that dude holding an octopus??!?!
They wear pads and helmets. I can't imagine it's more dangerous than rugby. Yes, that is an octopus. People throw them on the ice when the Wings score sometimes. It's tradition.

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Do you think a football field is harder than ice to fall on? I wonder if the injuries are worse or not? At least they have headgear on I suppose, our footy boys don't even wear long pants........ mmmm.... footy shorts on footy boys *drool*

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Yes, that is an octopus. People throw them on the ice when the Wings score sometimes. It's tradition.
Ew, why? Poor octupi. :(

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Ew, why? Poor octupi. :(
Why octopi???

Correct me if I am wrong on any part of this, but there were fewer teams when the NHL started, 6 teams I think. At time, the playoffs were two (2) best of seven series, so it took 8 wins to take the Stanley Cup. The Red Wings were one of the original 6 when you only needed 8 wins to take the Cup. So Red Wings fans like to toss those poor octopi on the ice when they score, it is good luck thing. Each leg of the octopi represents one of the wins it took to take Lord Stanley's Cup home!

Though I am amazed he got that into Joe Louis, I've heard security is looking for octopi during the play-offs.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Why octopi???
It's just part of my husbands Duffyism's that I've picked up.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Why octopi???

Correct me if I am wrong on any part of this, but there were fewer teams when the NHL started, 6 teams I think. At time, the playoffs were two (2) best of seven series, so it took 8 wins to take the Stanley Cup. The Red Wings were one of the original 6 when you only needed 8 wins to take the Cup. So Red Wings fans like to toss those poor octopi on the ice when they score, it is good luck thing. Each leg of the octopi represents one of the wins it took to take Lord Stanley's Cup home!

Though I am amazed he got that into Joe Louis, I've heard security is looking for octopi during the play-offs.
Very good! Not a lot of people know that!

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Why octopi???

You are correct, I think it started in the early to mid-50's . . . so a pretty long standing tradition.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts