Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I took that NRA beginners pistol class today , which qualifies you for a Conceal/Carry liscense in Ohio. Mostly I just wanted to learn more about guns, so I don't feel completely dumb about them. Class was going well. It was a small class of 12 because it was a make-up class from when they had to cancell the original date. We had about 3 hrs of lecture, then went out to watch them shoot into a barrel of water to show what different types of bullets did. Then they did just a little shooting at the range. The guy who had told me about the class handed me a .44 "something" and asked if I wanted to shoot it. I asked if it had a lot of kick and he said "quite a bit". So I took aim, fired and immedieatly the gun kicked back and hit me in the forehead - bled like a stuck pig I tell you - hurt some, but mostly bled ALOT. Got the instructors a little excited, towels, sitting in a chair, ice pack, talk of butterflys... I suggested that I might need to go "somewhere" to see if it needed stitches, since it was on my face. One of them took me to the local Urgent Care and 2 hours later, 7 stitches, a tetnus shot and some antibiotics and I was back at class. Ate the wonderful lunch they had prepared, had a little private lesson to catch up on what I missed and I took the test - missed 4 questions, then after class dismissed, I did the target shooting individually with 4 instructors to help me. We shot in sitting, standing with 2 hands and standing with one hand. Had to hit a paper plate 5 times to pass. I shot 30 rounds and missed 5 times. The great thing was, when I shot the other gun, I was shooting at a little card, and I hit it!!

If you want to see what kind of gun hit me in the head, check out the ytube video - about 3/4 the way through you see her shoot one, except she knew what she was doing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWO-EzoIbSs

·
Registered
29,548 Posts
Whew! I thought you were going to say you shot someone. ;) Sounds like maybe a 44 Magnum which is what Dirty Harry used. That's a big gun!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Wow what a day! I'm really impressed that you went back and finished! Holy heck you rock!!! :D I'm taking my class in a few weeks- I'l try to stay out of the urgent care;):)

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
When people ask what happened, you need to shake your head like it's nothing and say "little gun accident, just a flesh wound", and watch their faces.

Seven stitches is a pretty good number. Those head wounds bleed like crazy.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
When people ask what happened, you need to shake your head like it's nothing and say "little gun accident, just a flesh wound", and watch their faces.

Seven stitches is a pretty good number. Those head wounds bleed like crazy.
Good one!! :D

I, too, thought you were going to say you shot someone - or your foot.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I like that! I've been trying to come up with a good story, although the actual story isn't too bad;) I have to talk at a seminar a week from Monday, and probably still won't have the stitches out - so I think I'll say something "good" then.

I was more worried about getting back so I could eat lunch than anything else! I was getting a little weak from hunger - and I was upset because I thought I might not be able to finish the class today and would have to try to make it up sometime. I also just felt stupid for doing such a silly thing - and I don't like to feel stupid and cause a fuss. It's still bleeding some - I took the original bandage off so I could clean the area up a little and put a fresh bandage on.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
.44 magnums are fun to shoot! you do need to be prepared for the kick, though, if you don't have experience firing calibers that large. plus the shorter the barrel, the more it kicks.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Glad you were ok and a 44 has a huge kick so if you are not expecting it I can see how you recoiled into your forehead. When I took that class for my concealed weapons permit here in AZ they divided you into two groups those who knew how to shoot and those who didn't. They really worked hard to get those who didn't to pass the first day. It was the only time I have ever shot an AK47.

Take care of your head injury and talk to your doctor Tuesday about the suture removal. When I had a skin cancer removed from my face they took the stitches out after 5 days to minimize the scar and replaced them with butterflies. The forehead doesn't get much movement so they might be able to do that for you. Or where it took 7 stitches and it is so visible they might want you to see a plastic surgeon.

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I'm no longer an NRA instuctor because of lack of time, but I'm a little Poed at the guy who let you shoot it with out building up to it, that can cause all kinds of flinching problems with folks that is hard to cure.

I hope your instructor took him off and had a "little talk." with him about that.:mad:

And yes when you are built up to them they are a hoot to shoot, and in open country where it is safe, you'd be surprised how far you can learn to hit targets with them. Sadly they are not for me anymore, to much nerve and tendon damage in my wrists.:(

I do have a couple of rifles and a shotgun that will knock the socks off you, my shoulder is in a OK shape, just not my wrists.;)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm pretty sure they did have a "talk" with him later, but they didn't make a big fuss while we were there. I also take some blame because I should have known better too - even though I'm not that familiar with guns - but that is exactly why I shouldn't have done it. I'm sure it really surprised him too - maybe I looked more confident than I was. I must admit too, that I was just a teensy apprehensive to shoot my own gun after that (my dad's 22 Ruger). I had shot it before, but it was last year, and only for one session of target shooting. But I didn't have any trouble when I did shoot it though. It's like riding a horse - you just have to get back on! I'll take a pic of my forehead nest time I take the bandage off. Too bad these were all older peeps with my in class or I could have had someone whip out they're cell phone and snap a shot of me bleeding all over. Would have been "interesting" to have a video too - My first ytube video!

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
Glad you went back to shooting. And hey, some of us Old Pharts have cameras in our cell phones.:D

·
Registered
10,719 Posts
I don't consider you an Old Phart (yet) - you're my age!
I assure you we're old pharts, most my co-workers are under 25, but we're wiser by far.:D

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
The cool thing is, when someone asks what happened, you get to legitimately say it was a gunshot accident. Makes you sound all badass & dangerous. ;)

I am very sorry that you got hurt, though.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts