Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know most people here consider it just another ho-hum flu but it scares the he!! out of me.

First one of the ladies that works in our building her healthy 8 year old gets it, hospitalized 8 weeks with last rites twice...he finally got discharged over New Years weekend.

Now one of the ladies in my department who decided not to get vaccinated has it. She is healthy 28 year old. Runs 3 miles a day 5 days a week to work. (yes we have showers). She has been sick for a month first with a cold shakes it for about a week then gets even sicker. Finally diagnosis of
H1N1 last week when she ended up in the hospital. She has lost 20 pounds and today they were doing spinal taps to check for infections because they cannot get her lungs to clear up they are afraid she will be on a respirator if she doesn't improve soon.

So if you can spare a prayer for Mary it would be much appreciated.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
Prayers for your co-workers! It is a horrible thing. My son (16 years old) had it in November, and it was terrible. His joint pain was awful. He would literally lay and grit his teeth with tears pouring down his face. It is not something to be taken lightly.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
Wow. I'm sorry to hear this. Good thoughts for your co-worker.

I have not heard much about it in the last month or so.

·
Registered
456 Posts
That is horrible. I hope that she will be okay. My office is going to have the vaccine (mist and injection) available next week. I will probably get the injection. Four people in my department at my office have had H1N1, all were out for a least a week.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Oh my gosh, Karon!! Prayers....

It scares the hell out of me, too.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Good thoughts for Mary.

That really is terrifying. I declined the vaccine when I was at the doctor a couple weeks ago (I'm not anti-vaccinations, just considered fairly low-risk), but maybe I'll reconsider that...

·
Registered
7,129 Posts
Good thoughts for Mary. That is very, very scary!

I don't normally get flu vaccines but I was glad I got it this time. You rarely hear about people having it much anymore, at least around here.

·
Registered
13,130 Posts
That's terrible. A friend from high school has been on a ventilator since before Thanksgiving. She had a tracheotemy also because of the tube. Her pnemonia still hasn't cleared up. She had just gotten married about 2 weeks before.

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
Oh gosh, good thoughts on the way for your coworker.

Neil and I got the H1N1 vaccination last weekend. It hasn't been on the news much lately, but there were reports that it might come back this spring, so I figured we might as well get the shot. We had Darby vaccinated by her pediatrician a few months ago. I just don't want to mess around with it.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
That really is terrifying. I declined the vaccine when I was at the doctor a couple weeks ago (I'm not anti-vaccinations, just considered fairly low-risk), but maybe I'll reconsider that...
Please do.

It can be extremely powerful for those lacking any immunity to it -- as the number of comments in this thread prove.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts