Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are 10 days post TPLO and Gus is feeling really good. In fact, he is presenting a big challenge since it is stressful to keep him as quite as he needs to be according to his ortho vet's instructions. We are doing pretty good, I think, but it is a challenge. When I can directly supervise him, I have been opening one of the french doors and letting him lay beside the computer so he can look at the outside world. That seems to help a little since he likes to watch birds, etc.

I have been trying to get a picture of his incision but have not been able to until today. It is not red like it appears in the picture, but more of a brown. I didn't want to force him in a position to get a good picture, but I finally got this one a little bit ago. I would welcome any opinions on how it looks.

This is one I took of him last Saturday. It doesn't show his incision, but does show his turkey leg. He's got that tilt going on but the pleading look to go outside. You can see Zeke in the background running.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
I have been wondering how he was doing. The incision looks really good...he looks great. I can't imagine what a struggle it must be to keep him quiet! Do you use stuffed Kongs?

·
Registered
4,419 Posts
Awwwww... poor guy....... he thinks it's unfair to keep him inside !! I don't know a thing about that surgery, but I think the incision looks great ! What a haircut they gave him !

Melissa
;)

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the opinions on the incision. Never having gone through anything like this, I have stressed over everything!

I have been giving him a stuffed kong. He also likes his nylabone and a rope toy that he slings with his head, but he surely is missing his walks and outside playtime. When I take him out for a bathroom break, he wants to head to the street. I then get the pleading look with those brown eyes.

One positive we have had is that Zeke has not been a problem with him at all. Zeke has always been one of those labs that seems to just sense when someone doesn't feel well and has been extremely gentle with Gus. He will walk up to him and nuzzle his nose and then just go on about his business.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I'm not an expert in incisions but it looks really good to me. Poor boy, having to stay quiet and be inside, but the end result will be great. :)

Good boy, Zeke. Sounds like you're a gentle boy, I'm sure Gus appreciates it.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
The incison looks good. It is tough on poor Gus. Sounds like everything is going well. Good thoughts for a speedy recovery. :)

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
awww, sweet gus (and zeke!) glad to hear the first week + has gone well.
continued good thoughts out to gus for a speedy recovery!

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
Buddy has had more incisions than I can count! I think it looks great! I know what you mean about stress trying to keep him calm. Less than an hour after we got back from Buddy's leg surgery, someone rang the doorbell! He got up and ran to the door and I was screaming so pitifully that whoever it was ran away! I never did find out which one of the neighbors it was. Nobody would fess up. I thought I was going to die that night!! But he healed much better and faster than I ever dreamed he would.
Keep us posted.
P.S. that's some shaving they gave him. Poor guy!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts