Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have all been so sad since Zeke crossed over, and I have been at somewhat of a loss trying to help Gus. As some of you may remember, Gus and Zeke were littermates and we ended up with both of them when my son had to move for a job. We were dogsitting Gus while he got settled, and it quickly became apparent that Gus was my heart dog. It has always been special to have both of them, but the downside is that Gus is now very sad and lonely. I believe that he realized that Zeke was very sick, but it is still hard for him to understand what has happened.

He has started playing a little with the Boykin Spaniel next door and he played with my sister's Golden on Sunday. He still is not very interested in toys or his usual favorite games, but I'm hoping that he will be in time.

Since both of us have been so sad, he is coming to work with me a couple of days a week. I brought him a bed and some toys from home and he just hangs out in my office. He has been really good and everyone at work has really enjoyed having him in the building. On the days that he doesn't come, everyone asks where he is and why he didn't come with me. They have all decided that he is great stress relief! The senior attorney in our firm used to bring his first Lab everyday until she died about 8 years ago so we have always been a dog friendly office. We have several clients who always bring their dogs when they come in as well.

I took this picture of him last week. This is Gus hard at work:

I have really been having a hard time, so it has been good for me when he is here. My husband has been trying so hard to cheer me up and today I received flowers from him and Gus.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I'm so sorry for your and Gus' loss. Time heals....

·
Registered
14,925 Posts
Brought tears in my eyes. It's so sad. I love your siggy pic of Zeke.

I'm glad you are able to bring Gus with you to work. I think it's good for both of you. Gus looks like he's enjoying it. (((HUGS)))

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I am sorry, I think dogs share the same sense of loss as we do. Bringing him to work has done you both good. You have my thoughts and prayers, healing a heart can be a long road

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I am so sorry for your loss, and for Gus's loss as well :(

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
I can't imagine how hard it must be for all of you. :( I remember reading your post and balling my eyes out and I haven't even met Zeke!

I think you are doing all that you can, but remember that dogs know what you're feeling, so if you are sad, your dog will act the same way.

Sending some hugs and good thoughts your way :)

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Oh, I'm so sorry. Sounds like it's good for both of you that you can bring him to work (wish I had an office that was dog-friendly!). He looks so sweet. As others have said, time does heal. In the meantime, if he's shown interest in playing with other dogs but not toys, what about trying to arrange some extra playdates for him?

Hang in there, both of you.

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
It's so hard to comfort anyone during times like this. I'm glad you two have each other.. and your SU.

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
It is hard. It is wonderful though that Gus can go to work with you. It does get better with time. But we will always miss the ones who have crossed the bridge. I hope you & Gus feel better. What helped me was thinking that Shadow would not want me to be sad.
But that is easier said than done. Take care.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to everyone for their kind words. I know that we will feel better as time passes, but it has been especially hard for me since Zeke got so sick so quickly. I think the playdate idea is a really good one and I am going to make sure that we make a special effort to expand Gus' circle of doggy friends. I don't think the puppy sibling is an option for us and probably won't be for a long time. On a happy note, we are expecting our first grandchild to make his appearance before the end of the month. It will be really wonderful to have something so wonderful to celebrate and I'm hoping that his arrival will be the catalyst I need to stop thinking of Zeke as much as I do right now.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
It's so great that you are able to take him to work with you. I am sure that is helping both of you. I pray that he will be feeling much better soon. (((hugs)))

·
Registered
430 Posts
I am so sorry for the loss of your Zeke and how sad that Gus is fretting for him. Just so sad. Please give that gorgeous boy a big cuddle from Ben and me.
Chrissie

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and Gus. It's so hard, isn't it? It's absolutely true - dogs grieve as we do. We had Tango and Sammy...when Tango died, Sammy was depressed and moped around for 2 weeks until we brought puppy Tucker home. Then he was happy again. When Sam died, we experienced the same sadness and depression from Tucker. We brought Frankie pup home a couple of weeks later and all was well.

It's too bad a pup isn't an option for you - it would really help. How about an older dog?

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I'm so sorry for you and poor Gus. I worry about that with Willy too. He is attached to Libby at the hip. He would be so lost without her. I'm considering a third dog now, so either one of them doesn't have to be alone.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts