Just Labradors banner

Guns says thank you JL!

2K views 30 replies 29 participants last post by  sloigo 
#1 ·
for all the good thoughts and prayers. :-*

He seems to be doing ok. He drank water last night around 8:00 PM held that down so I gave him a little food he held that down so this AM he had breakfast..canned food for the next 5 dadys he'll think he's on vacation. Autumn keeps staring at it "hey I want some of that too mom"..lol

My vet showed me his teeth. I can't believe how long the root is on the canine tooth. We think we've figured it out. Once my vet got in there to really examine the wound he's convinced he caught the canine on something (most likely the fence) and when he yanked backward to release himself the canine went forward. The tooth and the root sliced that part of his jaw. He took a small piece of bone out and two of his front teeth.

I think he picked his Cuz back up when I went in, probably dropped it..those things bounce pretty easily, it hit the fence and instead of playing the bounce like he normally does he tried to catch it too close to the fence. I still can't believe how quickly it happened. He's acting pretty cautious outside, tail tucked. I'm just ignoring that I don't want to reinforce that behaviour. I made him walk the entire yard with me once then I let him relax for the night. He's crated this AM, I'll go home at lunch time to check on him.

Feels good to have him home Gunny Bear is definately my babydoll.

See less See more
#4 ·
Aw, Deneen. That entire scenario is just unbelievable!!! (I tried posting yesterday to add to the dismay of how it could have happen - but kept getting booted).

Glad he's eating/drinking. Hope you'll be able to get him to eat dry again, LOLOLOL!!!!

Hugs to you - I know that must not have been easy to go thru -

#7 ·
Glad to hear he's doing better..can you tell me how they fixed the jaw? I'm sitting here wondering if the break causes a weak spot..I mean..can he grab and hold once it's healed as tho it never broke? I can't imagine how distraught you must have been.
Just my curious mind wanting to know how they fixed it..and how it would be afterwards as far as strength..etc.
Hugs to you both..and prayers for a complete healing..
Jackie

#10 ·
Glad to hear he's doing better..can you tell me how they fixed the jaw? I'm sitting here wondering if the break causes a weak spot..I mean..can he grab and hold once it's healed as tho it never broke? I can't imagine how distraught you must have been.
Just my curious mind wanting to know how they fixed it..and how it would be afterwards as far as strength..etc.
Hugs to you both..and prayers for a complete healing..
They really didn't "fix" it. He removed two of the small front teeth (next to the large canine) and the canine. He also removed a small part of his jaw bone that was broke. The vet said the rest of the bone will be absorbed..not sure I completely understand this but I trust my vet. Gunny's gum will harden (like a human's does after their teeth are removed) and he'll be able to eat normally again. I'm sure he'll never have the strength on that side he did when he had teeth but he should be able to fetch, carry things in his mouth and chew like normal. I'll take a picture once he's healed.

#25 ·
I'm glad to hear your Gunny Bear is doing better. He's been on my mind a lot; like you, I've been trying to figure out how he got hurt. The vet's theory makes a lot of sense. It must give you some peace of mind to know how it probably happened.

I hope his tail is up and he's feeling back to normal soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.