Just Labradors banner

Gunny update added question..opinions?

3K views 46 replies 37 participants last post by  georgie 
#1 ·
He's out of surgery doing ok. The Vet had to remove more teeth than expected there were more loose than we orginally thought. :-[ He removed at least 3 teeth I have to call back and 12:00 to s/w Vet directly.

I could have went with the option of pinning etc. but the section of the jaw he broke doesn't have a whole lot of bone, upfront near the front teeth and canine so there wasn't any garauntee he'd keep the teeth with the pinning, he could have had nerve damage..etc I can't even remember the entire conversation I was in such shock, I should have taken somebody with me.

I went with the middle option. Basically the vet removed teeth and bone he expects the rest of the bone will be absorbed. Gunny under 2 and very healthy it's expected he heal quickly. He still has all his upper teeth so his tongue may or may not hang out.

I'm still in shock. I can't even imagine what he hit that hard to cause all this damage..in minutes. He's always with me, always under my feet. No one was in the yard with him. He's obsessed with that ball I thought maybe it went through the fence and he jammes his mouth on the fence but I found the ball yesterday in the middle of the yard it had no blood on it. He could have ran into this concrete retaining wall that was built to hold a deck of a pool that used to be there. I have no clue..I really don't know. All I know is I turned my back for less than 5 minutes to use the restroom, opened the bathroom door and saw him standing there bleeding.

Thanks for all your good thoughts. I should be able to bring him home today.

***His lips and face had no injuries, I'd think if he ran into something he face would be injurred too wouldn't you guys?***

See less See more
#7 ·
Re: Gunny update

it must be driving you crazy trying to figure out just exactly happened. I know I would be obsessing over how it could have happened...

Continued good thoughts for a speedy recovery. HUGS for GUNNY.

what goes through my mind is..and what I would be thinking is if it happened to me..

why did this have to happen to you and your dog? You are a great dog owner, watch them so carefully, don't leave them unsupervised...and this happens?, while there is a zillion idiot dog owners out there that never supervise their dogs..and nothing happens to those dogs (not that I wish that on any dog)...you know what I mean?

#8 ·

I'm so sorry Deneen...I would be trying to understand that too.

Big hugs for you and Gunny.

#15 ·

I've been up most of the night thinking about it I just can't believe it. I had the outside door open too I didn't even hear him yelp. My dogs never wear collars in the house or yard. They are rarely alone in the yard etc..I really don't have a good idea. I looked all over the yard for blood haven't found any on the deck, fenced yet. I need to be thankful it wasn't worse..I'd feel better if I knew what the heck happened.

#18 ·

(((HUGS)) I can't imagine what would have caused that damage. when buddy was accident hit in the face with a swing of a baseball bat he only lose a tooth. I know it's hard but realize accidents happen and don't be hard on yourself. We can't be with our babies 24/7 it's not possible.
Wishing him a speedy recover. Buddy was pretty out of it the first day from all the meds so Don't be surpise if Gunny isn't his old self for a few days
Wishing a speedy recovery. Get well soon Gunny!

#23 ·
I feel for you guys. Don't drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what happened (easy to say, I would be doing the same thing) because you probably never will, and I'm sure it's not something that you can change to avoid this happening again. It's just one of those freak accidents. I sure am glad to hear the surgery went well and they expect him to heal quickly.

#25 ·

deneen said:
No way someone could have kicked him, right?
No one was in the yard with him. I don't think somebody ran in and out without me knowing my gate has a lock on it.
ok good...and i have no basis for wondering that except, like you, I'm scrambling to come up with some kind of explanation! I was thinking more someone on the other side of the fence...calling him over. *shudder*

It would seem to me if he ran into something with enough force to knock teeth out, his lips would also be damaged and bloody.
It just is such a mystery.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.