Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Kolby's ears were really gross and gunky when I got him almost 2 months ago. Since then, he has been on the Purina Pro Plan Selects Turkey. He was on medicated ear drops and steroids from the vet for both bacteria and yeast in his ears and I have been cleaning them out every day with the purple stuff.. but they are still gross! I don't think I want to keep putting antibiotics in there if they aren't helping at all.

I know it takes a while for food allergies to come about and who knows what he was fed before I got him.. so should I just continue cleaning them out and wait this food trial out? If his ears are still nasty, I may consider switching him to a limited-ingredient diet or grain-free.

I know Lab ears can be bad.. but wow! :shocked:

Thanks!

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
I suggest grain-free, Justine. We had that with Shadow, and with Champ when we first got him. Each had one ear that was horrible, and stank. After a couple of weeks grain-free, no more gunk or smell!

·
Registered
2,914 Posts
Saba is on grain-free, BUT the first two years while he was on this food I had to clean his ears a lot... but now for over a year - nothing, no gunk at all... so I wonder if maybe regardless if it's grain-free or with grain - sometimes it takes some dogs just some time to get used to the food... I'm no expert of course... Plus I think the more "surfing" in the snow Saba did the more gunk he got, but he's been "surfing" in the snow this year too and nothing...

·
Registered
137 Posts
We've been having alot of trouble with Shelby's ears (yeast) and with her itching/scratching/flakey skin, finally switched to Natural Balance limited ingredient, she has been on that for the past 2-3 weeks and seems to be doing better so far, definetely seeing a difference in her poop which is a good thing since she has always had poop issues. I'll take her back to the vet in a few weeks to see how her ears are after being on medication. I"m hoping the new food will clear up alot of this.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Are they your general 'gross' or with like a thick black goop that comes out when he shakes? My Rhys had a pseudomonas (sp?) problem this summer and it took almost 4 months to find the right combo of ear crap to get rid of it, and it had nothing to do with allergies.

Finally we used triz e dta wash with baytril, ketoconazole and cortisone drops with oral cortisone. Kicked it within a week.

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
[QUOTEso should I just continue cleaning them out and wait this food trial out? ][/QUOTE]
That's been my life with Mitzi. I finally have her on Wellness Core and her ears are clean most of the time. Now I clean them only once or twice a month. (I use Zymox on her when they are cleaned)

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are they your general 'gross' or with like a thick black goop that comes out when he shakes? My Rhys had a pseudomonas (sp?) problem this summer and it took almost 4 months to find the right combo of ear crap to get rid of it, and it had nothing to do with allergies.

Finally we used triz e dta wash with baytril, ketoconazole and cortisone drops with oral cortisone. Kicked it within a week.
No black goop, just the normal reddish brown gunk. We did a cytology on the gunk and it's yeast and bacteria, no Pseudomonas. We have the Triz ear cleaners, too :)

·
Registered
460 Posts
Try the Pro Plan Beef....my Aidan is allergic to the poultry and his ears get nasty. When we switched to beef, his ears were great.

·
Registered
8,793 Posts
I'd go grain-free or even better, raw. Took care of Baloo's nasty yeasty ears quickly and totally. No ear issues at all in nearly two years now. :)

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
My Rhys had a pseudomonas (sp?) problem this summer and it took almost 4 months to find the right combo of ear crap to get rid of it, and it had nothing to do with allergies.

Mitzi had the dreaded black gunk last summer too. I could not get rid of it with any of the usual treatments. Finally took her to the vet who gave her Mometamax. (8 drops in ear each day for a week) It cleared up in a week. One of the indications listed is pseudomonas.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts