Just Labradors banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can you imagine lining EM at heel about 50 yards from these and then giving her a release command ???

Know what they are?

;)

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
rushpuppy said:
Are they black bellied whistling ducks??? I have only seen them once and it wasn't alive, but stuffed.
WOW!

You are sharp as a tack!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black-bellied_Whistling_Duck

Purportedly the tastiest of all North American ducks, they are found only in the southern most areas of the USA. They are somewhat common in the Houston area where that picture was taken yesterday.

·
Registered
6,512 Posts
Paddysmom said:
They look like Flamingo mutants.
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

·
Registered
2,559 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
samson said:
WHy black bellied I wonder ? You would think orange billed would be more appropriate !
Fair question. Hunters need to be able to identify the different species of ducks in flight and at distance. Some are protected and therefore illegal to shoot. That includes the Canvasback in many parts of the country last season. Others have a limit of 1/day such as the pintail and hen mallard. There is a great risk of killing one that shouldn't be shot if you can't identify the bird correctly in the air at some distance.

The black bellied whistler get's its name from the very obvious and distinct belly patch of black that can be seen from 100s of yards away whereas the color of the bill and feet are not discernable at that distance to someone with average vision.

This is another species of Whistling Duck. See how easy it would be to tell the two species apart in the air quite away off?

http://www.birds.cornell.edu/AllAboutBirds/BirdGuide/Fulvous_Whistling-Duck_dtl.html

·
Registered
101 Posts
So beautiful, but I would have never guessed the name. ;)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
I am late! But they are black belly wistlers! Not fulvous whistlers! We shoot a few black bellied whistling ducks at our place in Slidell. They are very tolerant of us training dogs around them, but they get pretty spooky after the first day of duck season! Nice pic, Jim! ;)

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Oh, Ellie Mae would have a blast! :laugh:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts