Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
I have what I call "Swept Up" movies -- as in, no matter how many times I've seen them, if I channel-hop and come across them, I'm in -- despite the aggravating edits and zillion commercials -- to the end.

Case in point: "The Shawshank Redemption."

Most of my "Guilty Pleasures" are schlocky stuff from the 1980s:

Swamp Thing
Fright Night
Amazon Women on the Moon
Night of the Comet
Humanoids from the Deep

And then there's the so-bad-it's-good stuff like

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Robot Monster

·
Registered
11,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have what I call "Swept Up" movies -- as in, no matter how many times I've seen them, if I channel-hop and come across them, I'm in -- despite the aggravating edits and zillion commercials -- to the end.

Case in point: "The Shawshank Redemption."

Most of my "Guilty Pleasures" are schlocky stuff from the 1980s:

Swamp Thing
Fright Night
Amazon Women on the Moon
Night of the Comet
Humanoids from the Deep

And then there's the so-bad-it's-good stuff like

Santa Claus Conquers the Martians
Robot Monster
OMG Night of the Comet. I have seen that about 100 times. And the guy they met at the radio station?? He was on Star Trek Voyager!

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Oh man, Dan. I'd watch "Shawshank" if it were on every night that week! All the way through... no skipping anything.

Other guilty pleasures (a real grab bag!)
Bridge on the River Kwai
Funny Girl
The original Sybil (Field, Woodward)
Babe
Seven
Master and Commander
Whale Rider
A Brilliant Mind
Shine

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
I love the Goonies!

Mine are

Neverending Story
Oh Brother, where art Thou?
Jumangi
The Good, The Bad & The Ugly is a Thanksgiving tradition at our house.

Oh, and every Natalie Wood movie ever made if I can find one on, along with Shirley Temple.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
There are so many!

Don't Be Afraid of the Dark!!!!!
The Goonies (last week!)
Dirty Dancing
Stand By Me
Ghost
Overboard here, too!
St. Elmos Fire
Ferris Buellers Day Off
Any Clint Eastwood movie (old westerns)

Lately, which we've watched 3 times in the last couple of weeks is Pearl Harbor. OMG!!!!!!!! Awesome movie!!!!!! December 7, 1941 will be forever etched in my mind in a whole new light. :(

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
Mine tend to revolve around teenage love/drama movies.. *blush*

Save the Last Dance
10 Things I Hate About You
Twilight
Mean Girls
A Walk to Remember
Footloose
Dirty Dancing

And my all-time favourite...

Pride and Prejudice (Mr. Darcy! <3)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
10 Things I Hate About You
How could I forget that?!?! I love the scene when he's singing to her from the bleachers and they take him away. Hysterical!!

The Notebook....seen it probably 10 times already.

·
Registered
12,573 Posts
Lately, which we've watched 3 times in the last couple of weeks is Pearl Harbor. OMG!!!!!!!! Awesome movie!!!!!!
Our priest, Vincent J. Inghilterra (Army Colonel and Catholic priest) who arranged the paperwork for our wedding is blessing the dead at the end of that movie!!

He was there because they wanted advice on the historical details. He then got asked to be in the movie.

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
See now I don't qualify "Don't Be Afraid of the Dark" as a guilty pleasure... because in being a fan of it, there's no guilt at all. It's STILL a tightly-wound, very creepy little horror movie.

To me, a guilty pleasure has to at least have some tinge of shame, mixed in with the enjoyment.

Like KNOWING how stupid "Flashdance" is, for example, but being unable to tear your eyes away....

Thought of another one: "Clash of the Titans." Which is presently going to be RUINED (I suspect) as a remake. All the 21st Century CGI in the world can't hold a candle to Sir Larry Olivier in a bedsheet!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.