Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Volvo XC70! ;D

One of the girls at the club has one. It's a station wagon that has an optional built-in crate...for two dogs! Two fairly large dogs! :)

I have been eyeing hers for a while. The Maxima is just not cutting it for dog-hauling. :-\ Too bad, because that is an awesome car. Perhaps my favorite I've ever had. Shiny black, black leather, anniversary edition so lots of bells and whistles. Sigh.

But I loved the Volvo too! I just wanted to see how it drove, so Kevin told me there was one at Carmax which is not too far. I love to go over there and drive cars to rule them in or out. It's an easy visit...no pressure...and they have virtually one of everything on the lot, so not a lot of running around between dealerships to try different things.

Anyway, Kevin has been watching these online for a while, and now that I've driven one and liked it, maybe we will start getting a little more serious about looking for just the right one. :) I need one a couple of years old, I think, to be able to afford it. So, two years old, low miles and good shape.

Just felt like sharing! ;D This would be so good for the boys...

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
make sure you afford to fix the buggers.. germen engineering = expensive maintenance and repair

·
Registered
219 Posts
Now that sounds like one cool ride! I've been wondering how long it was going to take the car industry to accomodate our furry family members! What's next? Built in water bowls? Now that I could dig!

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
Cool, Connie! :D

We have a XC70....it IS perfect for the dogs! It is just high enough off the ground so that it is comfortable to drive (ie, better visibility) yet, not so high that the pooches don't have to put much stress on their joints when they "exit" the vehicle. Hubby drives it most of the time, because it gets FAR better gas mileage then our Jeep does.

When you are looking, just make sure you get one that was "born" later then 2002. Volvo had some pretty major issues with the early model XC70s that happened to coincide with the time period that much of the manufacturing moved from Sweden to the US.

Good luck on your search! I have seen a metallicy-blue color that looks so pretty! :)

·
Registered
6,666 Posts
I used to have a Volvo, and I loved it! They're Swedish, and my dad's side of the family is full-blooded Swede and many of them drive Volvos. :)

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
OHenry said:
I've got the XC90 and love it!
I love the XC90 (XC70 too)! I would inquire about an extended warranty and it's cost. I've had over $6000.00 in repairs done on my car for $900.00 initial cost and a 50 dollar deductible. That's on a friggin' Ford!!!!

I always get car fever in the spring! Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser.Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser.Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser.

·
Registered
3,753 Posts
Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser.Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser.Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser.
Oh man, that was me a month ago! We looked at them...if only there were used ones out, I think we would have one! They are soooo cool! Ended up with an XTerra instead, which I'm totally happy with. It was going to be a toss up between the two anyway.

Connie, I looked up that type of Volvo...very cool!! Get one, get one!!!!! And post pics when you do! ;)

G

·
labs4life said:
OHenry said:
I've got the XC90 and love it!
I love the XC90 (XC70 too)! I would inquire about an extended warranty and it's cost. I've had over $6000.00 in repairs done on my car for $900.00 initial cost and a 50 dollar deductible. That's on a friggin' Ford!!!!

I always get car fever in the spring! Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser.Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser.Not buying Fj Cruiser. Not buying Fj Cruiser.
Yes! I was drolling over a Mini Cooper convertible today. The only thing holding me back is that I would be a sitting duck if an SUV every hit me.

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
Janna and Boomer said:
Oh man, that was me a month ago! We looked at them...if only there were used ones out, I think we would have one! They are soooo cool! Ended up with an XTerra instead,
I think you made the better choice. FJ has really bad visibility out the back and the Xterra is a far better offroad vehicle.

okay fine.. i'm bias.

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I wouldn't turn one down, Connie! Go for it.

Too expensive and too expensive to fix though for us...looks like our next car is going to be the Element.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I wonder how expensive to fix, really? Is this something an independent mechanic wouldn't touch? We would have a warranty for a while, but when it was gone I'd be looking for someone independent.

When I was about 18 I had a Mazda RX3 (the predecessor to the RX7) and it had a rotary engine. Hoo boy, not a lot of people worked on rotary engines. But we found one who did and it wasn't that bad.

OK, lay it on me. I can't afford $500 oil changes obviously. :p Seriously, would it be that bad?

·
Registered
9,226 Posts
I dunno Connie exactly how expensive but my sister and BIL both have Volvo's and they are always saying how costly they are to fix, buy tires for..she drives the S60 or 80 and he drives a Cross Country both around 2 years old..

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
AngusFangus said:
I wonder how expensive to fix, really? Is this something an independent mechanic wouldn't touch? We would have a warranty for a while, but when it was gone I'd be looking for someone independent.

When I was about 18 I had a Mazda RX3 (the predecessor to the RX7) and it had a rotary engine. Hoo boy, not a lot of people worked on rotary engines. But we found one who did and it wasn't that bad.

OK, lay it on me. I can't afford $500 oil changes obviously. :p Seriously, would it be that bad?
Well, i'm not sure, exactly Connie.. but you may want to start finding out.

I do know a lot of VW owners (and we're talking jetta here) who won't go back to german cars because oil changes alone cost them a bloody fortune and they were forced to have them done at vw when under warranty.

Just something to consider.

When Cam sees t his thread, he's gonna shwing.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
J
kelli said:
make sure you afford to fix the buggers.. germen engineering = expensive maintenance and repair
just want to make clear that Volvo=Swedish, not German.

My dad has the Volvo C70. It's the Volvo Convertible. He says it's reasonable to maintain- 35-40 for an oil change at the dealership. Anything else that has happened, they have fixed free of charged and provided a nice loaner car (but his is under warranty right now).

Our independent mechanic loves volvos. They purchase, repair and sell them- so I definitely think finding one that will service volvos is doable.

·
Registered
12,170 Posts
If the XC70 is too rich for you, you might consider the 850 wagon, which was produced prior to the 70 series. I have a 1997 850 and absolutely love it. It handles well and does very well in the city and on the mountain highways around my place. Costs for servicing are no worse than other cars if you use and independent mechanic. There are a lot of independents out there who work on, or even specialize in Volvos. The 850 is an incredible car to drive and is bombproof. The leather interior is great to have with the dogs and the cargo space is huge. With the 850, you can also get the otional dog barrier. In fact, they show up onebay quite regularly for not a lot of money. Anyways, if you're interested in an excellent wagon without the initial expense of the XC70, give the 850 a look.

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Cam, does the 850 have the divided dog kennel option? That is what is attracting me to the XC70. It's got a thingie that goes down the middle to divide the back cargo space in half. The back has kennel doors, so it's just like the middle and the doors add on. Does that make sense?

I cannot believe I am buying a car for the dogs. :eek:

I am encouraged to hear they are not that expensive to maintain. $35 to $40 at the dealer is what I would pay for an oil change (I don't get them at the dealer...but even anywhere else they are almost that expensive these days ::) )

I *think* we can schwing the XC70 if we find one a year or two old. My car is still worth a little something, so it will just mean starting over with another car payment similar to mine. Which I was looking forward to getting rid of. :-\

I have always been interested in safety ratings on cars :police: so a Volvo really rings my bell in that department!

·
Registered
9,781 Posts
oh dear lord.. i'm having a bad day.. i was totally thinking audi (hence the vw reference).

I was even picturing the little rings in my head.

i'm just gonna back away now.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts