Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Kayla has been getting a little more bratty in her guarding issues with the new puppy and I was hoping for some input into dog psychology!! (sp.?) Kayla (our four year old lab) does it with toys, rawhides, sticks, or whatever else the puppy is interested in at the moment. She isn't like that with us at all. She can be in a guarding frame of mind, and I can come and take right out from under her muzzle and there is no problem! But the puppy will be in middle of enjoying something and she will wait for her moment and snatch it from him. Then she will just lay and guard it. If he tries to get it back, she snips at him. She doesn't chew on it herself, of course, she just doesn't want him to have anything fun at all!! Is this a normal dog behavior, or is it a resentment behavior of the puppy? If it's not something acceptable, how can I deal with it?

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
My Pug & GSD do it all the time. I actually think it's funny especially given the difference in size. :D When I give them a cheese slice, Ronnie will almost swallow his whole & then grab Holly's out of her mouth. Stupid fool just stands there & lets him. She gives me a pathetic look as if to say"Dad he stole my cheese". :eek:

Likewise if Ronnie's got a toy. She'll go up to him & take it out of his mouth. The other day he had a squeaky toy. Holly grabbed it off him & within about 10 minutes, had totally destroyed it. I guess she figured if she couldn't have it, he wasn't going to either.

Personally, I've never considered it a problem. As long as it doesn't lead to a fight, it's quite funny to watch sometimes.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
My boys do that, although there is no 'snipping.'

When Champ has something, Buddy will wait for his opportunity to steal it. Sometimes he will stand in front of Champ, who is laying down, chewing on a bone. Buddy will lower his head towards the bone, and if Champ doesn't stop chewing, Buddy will pull back a bit. This will continue for a couple of minutes until Buddy just takes the bone. Champ has learned to get something else to chew on, Buddy will come and take that, and Champ gets back the original prize. ;)

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
That sounds a lot like my kids! ;)

In all honesty it sounds like fairly normal dog behaviour. We used to have three dogs and the littlest one (dominant dog) would steal all the toys, bones, etc. from the other two (a labX and a shepX) and grrr at them if they tried to get anything. The humans had no issues taking toys, etc. from any of the dogs. It was just a case of one dog showing the other two she was boss.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Yeah as the others have said - this is pretty normal and the two of them will work out their own relationship. This goes on in my house all the time with my 3 year old adult and the 4 month old puppy. They steal from each other and distract and wheedle and manipulate to get the treasured item (usually one of at least 6 Nylabones floating around in here) away from the other. The puppy's antics are particularly entertaining.

Let them work out their own rules. Unless and until one of them is really bullying and hurting the other, stay out of it.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, thanks for the input!! :) It doesn't really get aggressive, Kayla just seems to delight in tormenting the puppy and I was wondering if that was something all dogs do, or just her. It sounds like it's an "all dogs" thing. I think it gets on my nerves too because Charlie is tending to take after the corgi side of the lab/corgi mix. His bark is very shrill!! After about 1/2 hour of hearing the yipping, I get pretty annoyed. It will probably die down some though after he gets a little older

1 - 6 of 6 Posts