Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to make guacamole, but I'm avocado ignorant. Supposedly to tell if they're ripe there should be a "little give" when you press on them.

How much is a little?! I need an avocado class - touch this one, it's not ripe. Now this one? It's over-ripe. But this one here? Perfect!

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
I usually buy my avocado's 2 days before I'm actually going to use them.

I look for color (darkdarkdark green... almost black)... and "give"... 9 times out of 10 I can't find a "ripe ready to eat" avocado... that's why I buy 2 days in advance to give them a little time to ripen.

I assume you can ask the people that work in the grocery store to help you.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I can work with those things. Thanks, guys.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Also, don't waste your money buying small avocados. Those are usually stringy and no taste. Buy big, "full-bodied" ones. Hass avocados, IMO, are the best

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
you don't want the skin to slide around over the flesh when you press it, but you do want it to make an imprint.
ditto this..
My cousin also told me you can speed the process by putting them in a brown paper bag with a banana to speed up ripening.
But when I want guac I want it NOW and look for already ripe avacado. We have a market here that sells avacado ready to use. I just add the goodies I need to make it guac!

·
Registered
934 Posts
It really depends on the variety of avocado. I think it is probably best to ask the produce person in your market if you are not sure.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Our market is a giant chain grocery store. I imagine the produce person knows as much as I do. =)

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I know you aren't asking, but can I tell you the secret to kick ass guacamole? Cojita cheese, I tell ya, it makes it soooooo good!!!! You can find it in your bigger grocery chains, sometimes, they have like a "mexican" section and that is where I find it.

As for avocados, if you are desperate you can find some that are ready ripe, just look towards the bottom of the box. I agree w/ Betsy, get the big ones.

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Okay, well then, I'll ask. Give me the complete kick ass guac recipe, please. =)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
just take 3 decent sized avocados, a small onion, chopped small, a jalapeno pepper (or whichever pepper you prefer to use, but jalaps are easy to find, I use serranos) the juice of 1 lime, salt, cracked pepper, fresh cilantro is optional, a few good tomatoes, chopped. You can add a bit of chopped garlic if you wish.

That's the pretty basic version that I make

·
Registered
8,070 Posts
YUMMY! Now I want some!

When I'm in a pinch, I just add some salsa (has your tomatoes, peppers and onions already prepped!), lime juice, s&p. Oh, and I will add a tablespoon or 2 of sour cream to make it creamier sometimes. Good stuff!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Mine is simple.

I never measure just do it to taste.

Avocados
Cilantro
Cojita cheese
purple onion (i only use about half depending on how much I'm making)
salt
pepper
I usually add a little bit of the salsa that I either made or buy from Chevys
Lime juice ( I usually use just one lime)
If you want to add some jalepeno (I know I butchered the spelling) it depends on who I'm making it for. If you don't add salsa then take a roma tomato and chop up one and throw in there.

I try not to overwork it, I use my mashed potato masher but I like having chunks of stuff in there, I don't like it when it gets too runny. Remember leave some pits in there if you are preparing early, just don't prepare too early. I think I remembered everything.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
You know what's really good to zip it up a bit, if you have the jarred jalapenos, pour some of the juice in the guac. It's really good.

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
Mine is simple.

I never measure just do it to taste.

Avocados
Cilantro
Cojita cheese
purple onion (i only use about half depending on how much I'm making)
salt
pepper
I usually add a little bit of the salsa that I either made or buy from Chevys
Lime juice ( I usually use just one lime)
If you want to add some jalepeno (I know I butchered the spelling) it depends on who I'm making it for. If you don't add salsa then take a roma tomato and chop up one and throw in there.

I try not to overwork it, I use my mashed potato masher but I like having chunks of stuff in there, I don't like it when it gets too runny. Remember leave some pits in there if you are preparing early, just don't prepare too early. I think I remembered everything.

Ok, that sounds good, I am adding cotija to my next batch!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Aaaah! I've been wanting guacamole for days and now it's just getting worse!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
We've used Ranchero cheese when Cotija wasn't as easy to come by. It's crumbly cheese so you won't shred it or anything. You use just a bit off the edge, we have this great market Grande Market, that has it. It's soooo good we actually started adding it to our fajitas and stuff. They have fresh made chips, OY!!! Okay now I want Taco Tuesday on Monday!!!

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
We have 2 awesome markets that carry just about everything international you could ever want. I will look for Cotija in their cheese section. Nom nom nom. =)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts