Just Labradors banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Them darn heffers at Home Depot...

I've spent the last 6 days sanding, puttying, sanding, priming, and as of yesterday painting my less than cool sunroom. (Why do I do these things in the summer?)

First coat took care of the primer and the burgundy (ralph...hurk...) that lived on the walls for the passed 3 years since I moved in.

Half way through I ran out of paint, opened up the second can. Slapped on the rest. Let it dry.

1/2 hour later...ITS A FRIGGIN DIFFERENT COLOR, ever so slight, but bad enough that I now have to a) rethink this seriously b) have to re-paint the friggin trim around 9 cedar beams and a semi circle ceiling...c) reconsider going in to Home Depot with a crow bar and an attitude.

The floor has been scheduled to be laid tomorrow morning AHHHHH!

Heffers.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I would be SO heated, you deserve the new stuff for free imo.

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
Home Depot: BOO HISS, especially when it comes to paint. Similar thing happened to us three years ago... wrong color, just enough wrong that we didn't really notice until it dried. Never ever again. :mad:

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
Not that it matters at this point - but what professional painters do is mix the 2 gallons of paint together in order to eliminate any variation between the 2 cans. (dump in a big bucket, mix, mix, mix - put it back in the separate cans)

And - if you go to a good paint store this is much less likely to occur. I never had a problem with color variation buying Benjamin Moore paint from a paint store.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought at Home Depot because its a Ralph Lauren paint and they are copyright and couldn't be copied into another type of paint. I couldn't find anything close in any paint store around here (we have a Glidden and a Color My World..nothing else).

The first color was perfect, right on the color tag. (Sentimentally Khaki...kinda a greenish) the second can while I was putting it on looked the same. Then it dried. It was more 'Lime' than the khaki.

All finished now. I redid it.

·
Registered
11,990 Posts
I bought at Home Depot because its a Ralph Lauren paint and they are copyright and couldn't be copied into another type of paint. I couldn't find anything close in any paint store around here (we have a Glidden and a Color My World..nothing else).

The first color was perfect, right on the color tag. (Sentimentally Khaki...kinda a greenish) the second can while I was putting it on looked the same. Then it dried. It was more 'Lime' than the khaki.

All finished now. I redid it.

Hmmm... Copyrighting color, huh? I can see the formulation being copyrighted, or a finish - but the color? God is responsible for that. And despite his own personal opinion - RL ain't God.

I have brought fabric, nail polish, wall paper and other colored items into the paint store for matching. They will make any color in the world you want if you have a sample of the color. Even a paint chip from another company - maybe you just have to remove any brand names from the chip.

Anyway - glad it turned out well!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts