Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Except for during her puppy days, Emilu has never destroyed anything in the house. I can have stuffed animals sitting around for holidays, pillows, etc - nada. She seems to know what are "her things" and what she can't have. In Feb we came home to find a stuffed snowman that had been sitting on the floor since December destuffed and destroyed. I chalked it up to the fact that it was right by her basket of toys - she just "got confused". Then a few weeks later when we were visiting my parents and left her in the house to go eat out, she tore up a bunch of my stuff and dragged stuff down from the upstairs - chalked it up to "we left her alone too much at my parents house and she was stresed". Tonight we left the dogs in the house while we went out for 2 hours - came home to a mess - nose chewed off a big stuffed Easter bunny that has been sitting in a chair for a couple weeks, blanket and pillow on the floor, basket of stuff on the coffee table spilled out, pen chewed up (she chewed up a pen with the snowman too), and worst , a handmade, carved wooden bookmark that my dad made chewed to smitherins. NO EXCUSES this time. She has become a dog that can't be left alone loose in the house (Skippy is there too, but while I didn't see it happen, no way he would have done it. He couldn't care less about stuffed things, and never bothers the couch. Also Emilu was the one that slunk away when I yelled BAD DOG - and i didn't even say her name ) I can also just picture her having a ball, pulling things merrily off the couch, picking carefully and determindly at the bunny nose , and chewing up the pen. I am going to have to set a crate back up for her. She is 4 YEARS OLD!!!! She should know better!!!!! :mad: :mad: :mad:

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Oh boy- It must be the terrible 4's. I had to start putting both
girls in our back hallway again a few months ago. Bella loves to
destory things when we leave and Lilo had a peeing and pooping issue.
It got worse when Jasmine left. So they both no longer have free roam
of the house when we are gone. And they were 4 in Feb.

G

·
Amazing that after all this time she has started destroying things. (Guess this means we should never part with our crates, huh? ;))

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
Oh boy......hope this isn't something I have to look forward to?

·
Registered
870 Posts
I feel your pain! Someone knocked down the baby gate in our bedroom door today while we were at work - missing or destroyed items include a tube of toothpaste, whole roll of toilet paper (eaten I'm sure), a ribbon, alcohol wipe, a chewed up rug and who knows what else........Not certain which little yellow demon is responsible but once the items begin to be passed I"ll know for sure. To make it worse I have felt so bad about my husband and I both working long hours that I have hired a "walker" to come very day - he walks them, refills the water bowl and plays for half an hour. Lot of good that did! I too may be pulling the crates from storage. Please tell me this is just a spring fever phase......

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
Mickey's 3, and was doing well enough that I bragged on it ::) and now we have a mad diaper junkie on our hands. :-X He's figured out how to thwart the step can in the kitchen, so I'll need to set up a camera and pretend to leave the house so I can see exactly how he's doing it. I guess I should be grateful that he's not eating them. :p

I know this is awful, but I feel a little better knowing that we are in good company at least. It's looking like it's time to drag the crate out again. :(

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
Sammi is earning her wings as we speak, so far does just fine if it not more then about 4 hr.s, which it never is. Now I'm a little worried ::)- I will keep my fingers crossed when I leave for work in the A.M.-

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
We are starting to give Abby some freedom back but I will have to wait & see. She was doing well for weeks & then one evning she shewed up the area rub in the kitchen. ::) Molly was a chewer when she was young but once she was about 15 months she was able to be trusted. Not sure if Abby will be able to be free.
Poor Emilu....she probably was having a good time while you were away.

·
Registered
16,472 Posts
You made me very afraid. Zoe turned 4 several months ago.

we leave her in the house (kitchen/family room/hallway) while we're gone. Kitchen counter has her chews, treats, and our bread, potatoes, some fruit. Also, coffee table has a $500 book on it (as well as magazines, etc)! :eek:

Emilu, hope your phase passes so that you have loose in the house privileges again.

·
Registered
140 Posts
My Mercedes is 2 1/2 and is OK when I leave her for 20min or so,if I go over to the neighbors...but anhymore than that>trouble is brewing, so she goes inthe crate when I leave for a few hours or more. I feel better whenI am out knowing she cannot hurt herself.

·
Registered
9,503 Posts
Our Wheaten, Molly was a lifer in the crate. She never did earn my trust and get let when we left the house.

Emma we have left for small amounts of time and she is ok. Aidan, is loose at night in our room, but I have not tried him loose when we go out. I just figure he's safer in there and we are never gone that long anyway.

·
Registered
3,414 Posts
Belle is a lifer, can't trust her 30 seconds if I am not in the house. While Hoss seems to be trustworthy, Kodi had her priviledges yanked last fall. Two chair cushions and an area rug gave their lifes before she was re-ex-pen confined.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I guess I thought if they were dependable for a couple years, they would be dependable forever :-\. I think they will always been fine at night, but just not during the day (knock on wood).

·
Registered
12,586 Posts
Oh no! I was just wondering today if we should start letting Angus have privileges. With his history, and now reading this post, I'm not so sure. He scares me. :eek:

Anyway, he really doesn't seem to mind his crate at all. Anytime you ask him if he wants to go to bed, he almost trips over himself trying to get up there. :p

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I don't mind the crate that much, but SU hates to have it up in the diningroom. I mentioned something about putting it down in the basement and he thought that was a great idea - but I hate putting her down there. Not sure what I'll do. I put the rabbit back out on the chair after Emilu and I had a little "chat" about it. I don't think she'll bother that rabbit again - something else maybe, but not that rabbit.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Ok, best thing you can do is "set them up for the fall" We did this with our Chow Chow many years ago when she decided anything on our livingroom table was hers...books, pens, TV remote, ect. So we set her up, and walked away for awhile, came back and caught her in the act....We startled her by yelling a very firm "NO" to her.....think we only had to do it twice.....never had a problem after that...
Thought #2 is that Lab's have very long "puppyhoods" I think compared to other dog breeds.....I think with our Lab Katie she was 3 before we could trust her....I always joked with her....told her I just knew that when she got to the age of 10 that she was going to be a great dog...well she is 10 now, and is a great dog, LOL!
Good Luck!
Debbie

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
patm said:
I don't mind the crate that much, but SU hates to have it up in the diningroom. I mentioned something about putting it down in the basement and he thought that was a great idea - but I hate putting her down there. Not sure what I'll do. I put the rabbit back out on the chair after Emilu and I had a little "chat" about it. I don't think she'll bother that rabbit again - something else maybe, but not that rabbit.
We are on week #6 with no crating of Maggie and Daisy. As much as I like to believe we will escape without incident,I'm sure we'll have a set back. I'm glad to have my dining room back,two large crates aren't as decorative as one would think. The crates are in the garage and can be brought back inside within a moments notice.

There is always tons of advice about plenty of exercise, toys,yadda yadda and your dogs won't destroy anything.All well and good but,the last time I checked, labs don't read this forum and if they decide to get a bug up their butt and want to shred something ...they will!

I have no real advice other than labs sometimes violate probation,they might have to serve a little more time and I hope they choose to rehabilitate themselves and have a productive, crime free life. I've yet to have a lifer and I hope my record stands.

·
Registered
13,529 Posts
Oh Emilu!! What is going on in your head there sweetie? You can't eat momma's things!

Pat, all I can say is I feel for you. Abby went close to 4 months without incident, then she ate the arm chair. Last week I tried her out for 25 minutes, came home to the couch skirt ripped off. Needless to say, she's back in jail while we are away. Little stinkers.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts