Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wear glasses that have a clip on sunglass piece. Well I lost the piece when I was on vacation in June last year. The wind blew the dang thing right off my glasses and into the ocean...glub, glub, glub straight to the bottom. Who would have thought that a paper thin piece of plastic wouldn't float? Had I known 1) how expensive it was to replace and 2) what a PITA it would be I would have donned my diving gear and gone in after it. Instead I went to opto to reorder rthe eplacement clip and was told it's on back order and it will take "2 weeks". Well 3 months, yes MONTHS, later I finally get my clip. That would be Aug. Well into summer and I was not a happy camper.

You have to understand that I have very light blue eyes that are very light sensitive. I live in AZ where we get something like 363 days of sunshine/yr. Even more during summer. ;) See where this is going? I'm basically blind while driving. I have to squint to see and I get severe headaches when I'm out in the sun without sunglasses.

Fast forward to this year. Last month, that would be March for those following along, I broke the replacement clip (yes I'm starting to realize these things are a worthless piece of crap that cost me $70 every time I break or lose one). The tech says its on backorder and it will take "2 weeks". Well I immediately think I'm experiencing dejavu. So I say "will it be 2 weeks or 3 months?" and I'm assured 2 weeks. I tell the tech that if it will take longer than 2 weeks I will just make an appt for a eye exam and order a full pair of sunglasses (insurance will pay for that but not the clip) rather than deal with the stupid clip again. She assures me "2 weeks".

Well it's been 3 weeks now so I go talk to the tech to get an update. She said she will call the clip company. This is the line of hooey she is given. They quote everyone 2 weeks but in reality it could be several months. You see they get all these small orders and they only make the clips once every blue moon or so. They only make X number, let's call it 1000, per production run per blue moon. They can't tell me if I'm # 999 or 1001. If I'm 1001, I'll have to wait for the next blue moon. Does this make sense to anyone else? What the hell kind of business are they running and can I start one of my own?

So now I'm very POd but trying to remain civil. I tell the tech to make me an appt for an exam ASAP and I'll just order my sunglasses. We made an appt for Fri but here's the kicker, she said "should I cancel the clip order? Actually, you could probably still use it." I said "No don't cancel it. It still might show up before I get my glasses but I wouldn't be buying a clip AND a pair of sunglasses so its a race at this point." She said "well then I'll have to charge you for the clip anyway." :mad:

I walked out at that point because I didn't want to get blood all over my work clothes. I'll call back and talk to the manager once my blood pressure returns to normal. Grrrrr...

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
I didn't have the same problem but I can sympathize. I also have/had a clip on sunglass piece. Major pain, smudges all over everything by the time I get it attached, and it's not dark enough.

I found a pair of over glasses in Walgreens. Fit very nicely over my glasses, don't look stupid, are comfortable, very dark, and cost $22!

Frances

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
That clip sounds like a hassle. :(

My parents both have glasses where the lenses turn into sunglasses when they're in bright lights. I'm sure there's a technical name for it, but I don't know what it's called. They get really dark too - looks like actual sunglasses in the summer. Maybe you can look into something like that?

·
Registered
6,114 Posts
Same kind of problem here. I'd just get the prescription sunglasses and tell them to screw the clip. My patience with that kind of customer service wouldn't last very long.

I couldn't live without my prescription sunglasses. I honestly think I'd rather break my regular glasses than be without the sunglasses.

P

·
0 Posts
That type of customer service would have me going nuts.

1) cancel the ordered clip

2) cancel the eye appt

3) find another eye doctor

4) look in places like Walgreens or the local flea market for clip ons

Here is a link of something very similar to what I have. http://www.cliponconnection.com/measure.htm

There are lots of different brands, but I am sure you should be able to find a pair that would work. There is a spring in the middle between the two lenses and hooks on the top and bottom of both sides. The spring keeps tension so that they grab onto your glasses. Mine are just about the right size (across) and I can put them on with one hand in a pinch.

Good Luck in whatever happens.

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Understand your frustration...but my guess is that your clip is what they call a "service order" at the manufacturer...not enough are ordered to make "real $$" on, so it gets ignored...for as long as possible.

However, I think the opt ought to be able to offer a different option at around the same cost since this is a stupidly long wait time. If your glasses are 'script, can you just go to Target and get non-script clip ons? Don't know...but that's what we'd do for my daughter.

SORRY!

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'll have to check out the OTC clip ons if only for a temporary solution. I do know that those that clip over the lens will scratch the lenses where they attach though. I've had clip ons for years...usually heavy duty ones with massive magnets to hold them on. This particular clip reminds me of the 3-D glasses you wear at the movies. It is literally a piece of plastic with no frame...just a thin magnetic wire across the top which is why they blew off my face and broke so easily (lens popped off the wire).

BoatDog said:
Understand your frustration...but my guess is that your clip is what they call a "service order" at the manufacturer...not enough are ordered to make "real $$" on, so it gets ignored...for as long as possible.
I find it hard to believe they don't make money on something they charge $70 for but what costs them probably .02 to make...unless of course they are using child labor somewhere. Then it probably only costs .002. ;)

gailatmsu said:
My parents both have glasses where the lenses turn into sunglasses when they're in bright lights. I'm sure there's a technical name for it, but I don't know what it's called.
Those are called Transitions. My son just got some and loves them but he hasn't had them long. I wore them back in the 70's. I hated them because they never lightened up all the way (never a perfectly clear lens...always a grey tint) and all my school pictures look like I'm wearing sunglasses because they darkened when the flash went off. I have bifocals now so I'm not even sure they can make bi focal Transitions. I'll have to ask. I don't really need bi focals for my sun glasses so I'm hoping to save a few bucks there.

phseamstress said:
That type of customer service would have me going nuts.

2) cancel the eye appt

3) find another eye doctor
That's not really fair. It wasn't the drs fault. It really wasn't even the tech's fault. I place the blame on the clip company's idiotic manufacturing policy. The tech was simply repeating what was told to her. I will definitely cancel the clip if it isn't there by the time my appt rolls around.

·
Registered
5,082 Posts
I bought my clip-ons at Target on a clearance rack in the optical shop. $5.00, and I had the optician check to be sure they weren't scratching my lenses. They're not beautiful, but they sure work! ;D

B

·
0 Posts
i bought some clip ons last year at costco. the have a spring and clip on the sides of the glasses. very easy to take off and on. i bought regular prescription sunglasses before we went to hawaii and absolutely love them but still use the clip ons when i don't want to bother with the prescription glasses. think the clip ons were like $12. at costco.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts