Just Labradors banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One of the guys I work with has 4 basset hounds. These dogs are as spoiled as Cinnamon so they are well loved. At 9am Sunday morning his neighbor rings the bell and has a basset on a rope saying "one of your dogs got loose and was scratching at my front door so I thought I would bring him home". Well as soon as Darren saw the dog he did a head count all of his are present and account for. He takes the dog any way as the guy who found him doesn't have animals.

They have searched the neighborhood no one knows the dog. Posted flyers around their area and at Petsmart and Petco. Called the pound and the Humane Society. Posted notices on Petfinds and AZ Basset Rescue. Called every vet within 5 miles. Taken him to their vet to be scanned no chip. No collar or tags.

This dog is in great shape. Not under weight. Vet checked him paws are not cracked so he hasn't walked a long way and in this heat they would have blistered on the pavement. Only thing is he has a little paint on his tail.

His wife went to the post offices today and ask them to post a notice she gave them asking the letter carriers if they have seen any lost basset poster on their routes. She also went to the 4 schools around them and ask them to please include in their morning announcements tomorrow about them finding him. He has a very distinct pattern so they are going to make any one trying to claim him show pictures or at least describe him.

At this point they have decided to keep him. They tried various names for the last few days and he responded to Mickey last night so that is what they are calling him. He fits in well with their other dogs and he figures that is the last of their efforts to find the owners. If they cannot be bothered to look for him he is probably better off with them where he can be a couch potato.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Sounds like his "owners" don't deserve the little guy anyway. Kudos to your friend for coming to the rescue!! I think Mickey is better off!

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
You think maybe his owners are out of town and he was being cared for by someone else who is not being very responsible? Hopefully his owners will show up and have a good excuse, if not I agree he will be better off with your friend.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paula,

That is what Darren and Jennifer is hoping that someone will call them in the next week or so when they get home from vacation.

The general consensus on the basset chat room is that someone spotted Darren and Jennifers dogs and dump him by their house figuring they would take him in. It is like Darren said if they had rung his bell and told them they couldn't keep their basset he would have taken him and at least they would know for sure.

Let's face it bassets are built for walking long distances and the vet says he shows no signs of covering any long distance. He has no pain in his joints and his feet are in great shape and he hasn't lost a lot of weight recently.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts