Just Labradors banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jakob woke up around midnight last night, and he was crying that his foot hurt. I checked his foot - no scratches, no bruises, no swelling. He fell back to sleep around 12:30, but at 1, he was awake and crying again. His foot again. This time he told me it was his heel area that hurt. I checked again, and I didn't see any reason why it should hurt him. I asked him if he had hurt his foot at school that day, and he said no. He eventually fell back to sleep crying. :(

Around 2, he woke up again, and this time his leg was hurting him. I gave him some children's Tylenol pain tablets. He cried for a good hour, and I was almost ready to give in and take him to the ER when he fell back to sleep. At 4, he woke up crying again...only for about 15 minutes though. I woke him up at 6:45 for school, and he said it didn't hurt at all. When we walked to school, I watched the leg that was bothering him, and he didn't seem to have any problems with it. The school hasn't called me yet, so I'm guessing he's been okay today.

Jason said it was probably growing pains? He used to have them really bad as a child also. I never had them (I think it's a boy thing though?), and I don't remember my brother having them. Does it seem like it could be growing pains? Are they that bad, and can the pain travel from the heel to the leg (if that is what happened)? Jake will be 8 in June since I'm not sure if there's an age it generally starts.

All I know is that I hope we don't have any more nights like last night. :(

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I had growing pains when I was a child and my son had them bad when he was little. Sometimes he complains about his legs hurting but it isn't extreme any more. When he was little he would cry at night because it hurt so bad. THe doctor told us to give him tylenol as well.

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
My daughter used to wake up crying that her legs hurt. We gave Motrin and all was well. Also, massage helps. DH's cousin is a massage therapist and showed us quite a few different ones to do. And that seemed to help, as well.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
DS had them as a child, starting around 8 I think. We gave Tylenol just prior to bed for 3 days in a row so he could get some sleep. It seems to come in a few day cycles (hurt for 2, nothing for a month or more) It all stopped at age 14 when he grew 6 inches over the summer (Thank Goodness Mom had him as she is a Dr) Feet grew 4 sizes, she was unable to keep anything other than shorts and flip flops on him!

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Poor baby. :( It sounds like that's what it was, Gail.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm short too! lol He's only 10" shorter than me, which is a bit scary. :)

I'm glad that it's probably growing pains, but at the same time, I hate it since there's nothing that can be done for them. :( I'll give him Tylenol before he goes to bed the next couple of nights and see how that works. It's awful seeing your child cry with so much pain.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
DS had them as a child, starting around 8 I think. We gave Tylenol just prior to bed for 3 days in a row so he could get some sleep. It seems to come in a few day cycles (hurt for 2, nothing for a month or more) It all stopped at age 14 when he grew 6 inches over the summer (Thank Goodness Mom had him as she is a Dr) Feet grew 4 sizes, she was unable to keep anything other than shorts and flip flops on him!
That's what Jason did too. If Jake does that, I hope it's over the summer too since shorts are a little easier to get by with. Jason wears a size 15 shoe and is 6'3 so Jake still has quite a ways to go. He's 4'4 right now and in a boy's size 2-2.5 shoe.

·
Registered
4,020 Posts
That's what Jason did too. If Jake does that, I hope it's over the summer too since shorts are a little easier to get by with. Jason wears a size 15 shoe and is 6'3 so Jake still has quite a ways to go. He's 4'4 right now and in a boy's size 2-2.5 shoe.
DS just turned 17 and is 6'3 and I don't even know what shoe size he is and it appears that he is still growing although slowly! I am 5'2, DH is 5'9 and 18 yr old DD is 4'11! Guess who got the tall genes?

·
Registered
26,306 Posts
DS just turned 17 and is 6'3 and I don't even know what shoe size he is and it appears that he is still growing although slowly! I am 5'2, DH is 5'9 and 18 yr old DD is 4'11! Guess who got the tall genes?

LOL

My daughter who is in 8th grade is 7 inches taller than I am:rolleyes: and while we were checking out at the store the cashier said you must get your height from your dad. :D Ya' think?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts