Just Labradors banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK... so Milly loves us both. Everyone mentions how affectionate and sweet and caring she is as a dog, especially with us.

But she has this habit with David which we both find quite amusing.... and I am wondering how common it is.

Every night without fail (it used to be quite irregular but lately it's like clockwork) when we sit down to watch TV after dinner Milly lays at David's feet and grooms him. Seriously, it's hilarious. She only does it with him NEVER me or anyone else. She licks licks licks ... sniffs.... checks... repositions to the other side and does it all over again. If we let her she'd do it for an hour easy.

Is this normal? Common? I've seen dogs groom each other this way but never seen a dog groom her human the same!

Any comments would be appreciated.
cheers
Sarah

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Jack does the same thing to me....but it's always 2:30am! Aargh! About 5 minutes of licking, sniffing, wiggling under an arm to get a new spot and then its over....but by then I'm wide awake!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Homer does it all the time, but rather than lick me he nibbles (sometimes it hurts!). He nibbles my shirt, hands and arms, especially while he gets groomed or a nice rub (I massage his back and neck and he loves it)

My old dane nibbled my ear while I brushed her, she always did.

My cat also did the same, but their tongues can rip your skin off!

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
Both Kodi and Belle lick me in the morning as we lay in bed, face and hands.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
HA! Macy and Frankie love to sleep on our pillows (they take turns), their head facing Paul, and they both groom his face. Never me though! Nope. I get their butts in my face instead.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
I remember a line from the movie 'The Truth About Cats and Dogs' when someone asked about grooming, and the answer was that its healthy to love your pets, not LOVE your pets.

The odd kiss for me, but a total groom would gross me out and I wouldn't allow it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Kira and Finley both do the foot licking thing sometimes. Tell Dave it's cuz his feet smell!

Finley does have one night time ritual though. Every night when DH is in bed Finley goes over to his side of the bed for pats and he won't go away until DH says "night night Finley, good boy".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts