Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anybody take their cats to a groomer? I have three but only one with really long hair. My female, Banjo. Her hair gets so matted in the winter time. Every spring I have to comb her out and try to get the mats out. Sometimes I have to take the scissors and trim her up a little bit. I was feeling lazy and was considering taking her to be groomed. How do cats like that and will they cut her hair short?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
I don't but then I have a long-haired cat that loves to be combed (as long as you're sitting on the john for it...captive audience) but it was one of the jobs I used to do as a vet tech. Luckily for me those cats were sedated and we literally just pulled the mats out with a comb. I don't think any cat would stand for that if they weren't knocked out. There have been times that cats were so matted that we shaved them. Those were some PO'd cats when they woke up!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, that sounds awful. Poor kitties. I won't take her, I think I'll comb her out myself. She does like it when I do that. I'm not going to have her sedated just to come her hair.

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
I was a groomer for 5 years, and we had a lot of cats come into our shop. We had to muzzle a couple over the years, but most were fine with brushing out or shaving. I'd say give it a try if you don't want to do it, and the groomer will let you know if it was too much for her.

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
A friend of mine has 4 long-haired cats, three of whom sometimes go outside. It's hot here, and they get mats. She takes two of them to a groomer for haircuts each summer. She swears that it helps and regardless of looking ridiculous, they're much more comfortable. Personally, I think the results are horrifying and I don't know why the cats haven't plotted revenge yet. :D

This is what one of them looks like right now. :eek:

We have one (indoor only) long haired cat. He's NEVER getting a cut like my friend's cats, I can tell you that! Though I know what you mean about all the brushing and trimming of mats, it really isn't fun.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh my gosh, that poor kitty. I've started working on Banjo, she's being very patient with me, but it's taking a long time. I'm trying to do a little a day. She has never in all her 11 years been this bad. I don't know why. It's not that I really mind doing it, I've always done it, I just thought this once I'd try a groomer. Maybe not!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I groomed my cat myself. Bought some clippers, read the directions and just did it. It was easier than I thought. Since it was so hard to find a groomer that does cats, maybe I should be one.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Interesting thread. Thanks! We have a long-haired cat that is a bit heavy to groom herself and a 4 month old baby. When she starts crawling this could be a problem. Problem is Shadow isn't the cleanest and can sometimes get things stuck to her backside. She hates being combed. I put on my leather gardening gloves and brush her and cut mats out. I'd love to get her shaved down a bit, but can't really afford to have the vet do it. She'd need a muzzle for sure-see note about gardening gloves.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Good for you.. I really think it's easier for the cat if someone they know is doing it. :)

We had one cat come into the clinic that had such bad mats that we literally had to shave off the entire coat to the skin. The resulting piece of fur looked like the cat.. legs, body and tail.

I've never had a long-haired cat, so I don't know too much about the grooming, but I think you are "supposed" to brush the cat everyday.. but who has time for that? If it's possible, would it help to just keep the cat's fur shorter? It would cut down on the mats and make the brushing quicker!

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Good for you.. I really think it's easier for the cat if someone they know is doing it. :)

We had one cat come into the clinic that had such bad mats that we literally had to shave off the entire coat to the skin. The resulting piece of fur looked like the cat.. legs, body and tail.

I've never had a long-haired cat, so I don't know too much about the grooming, but I think you are "supposed" to brush the cat everyday.. but who has time for that? If it's possible, would it help to just keep the cat's fur shorter? It would cut down on the mats and make the brushing quicker!
She is 12 years old and I've never had this problem before. I'd never be able to do it everyday, but I try to keep up with it. I just don't know what happened. In the future, I am going to try to keep it a little shorter, so this never happens again. Learned my lesson.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
Gave up and took her into the vet on Wednesday. She smelled like a barn. I tried to bathe her but gave up when I saw little maggot like things that squirmed when water was applied.

They shaved her rear-end and cleaned it up. They didn't see any maggots. She had a temperature and a skin infection. The vet put her on anti-diarheal meds. Pills. She's actually not too bad to get to take pills. I had to give her 2 pills 2x a day though. She weighed 19 pounds.

The vet also gave us a topical wormer. Can't take any chances with a 5 almost 6 month old soon to be crawling.

$270 later and hopefully won't have to go back for a while.

·
Registered
13,489 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Gave up and took her into the vet on Wednesday. She smelled like a barn. I tried to bathe her but gave up when I saw little maggot like things that squirmed when water was applied.

They shaved her rear-end and cleaned it up. They didn't see any maggots. She had a temperature and a skin infection. The vet put her on anti-diarheal meds. Pills. She's actually not too bad to get to take pills. I had to give her 2 pills 2x a day though. She weighed 19 pounds.

The vet also gave us a topical wormer. Can't take any chances with a 5 almost 6 month old soon to be crawling.

$270 later and hopefully won't have to go back for a while.
I hope your poor kitty gets better soon.

·
Registered
6 Posts
We have a big furry maine **** cat who used to have diarrhea all the time (couldn't figure it out- he was on high-protein low grain EXPENSIVE wellness- turned out to be the soft food which was also wellness) anyway- it was gross- in all his hair, resulting in an angry kitty in the bath tub and then he started matting. We took him to a groomer and had him shaved on the belly/butt area only he was angry but it worked and now we don't have to anymore because he gets his own mats out by himself now and no longer has diarrhea.

·
Registered
5,146 Posts
We have a big furry maine **** cat who used to have diarrhea all the time (couldn't figure it out- he was on high-protein low grain EXPENSIVE wellness- turned out to be the soft food which was also wellness) anyway- it was gross- in all his hair, resulting in an angry kitty in the bath tub and then he started matting. We took him to a groomer and had him shaved on the belly/butt area only he was angry but it worked and now we don't have to anymore because he gets his own mats out by himself now and no longer has diarrhea.
I think she might have some Maine **** in her. It's hard to say. I had to give her a bath last night. She had stuff stuck to her dropped it in the kitchen, DH or I stepped in it and tracked it into the living room. She was doing alright for a while there. I don't want to have her shaved again as it's cold. She had the lion cut in the spring just before our second child was born, but it grew in within 3 months.
Tracey McLeod's Photos | Facebook

1 - 18 of 18 Posts