Just Labradors banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At the moment, I'm offshore on a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico about 100 miles south of New Orleans and in about 4000' of water. I've been assigned a hitch out here for a particular well section (about 5000' of drilling) and am functioning as the wellsite geologist. I am one of two females out here, but all the rig hands and galley staff are really nice and we're pretty comfortable. But wellsite work is basically looooong stretches of tedium interspersed with short spurts of frantic activity, and those usually occur at inconvenient times like the middle of the night. Right now I'm in the tedious stretch. I've been here 2 days so far.

Normally, I'm in the office in Houston sitting in front of the computer. I wear suits or skirts and heels, makeup, jewelry, and blow-dry my hair every day. I arrive at 7 AM and leave between 4:30 and 5 PM. I get every other Friday off unless there is something critical happening. I go home, go out for or cook a nice meal and have a glass or two of white wine (except the nights I'm in my evening MBA classes). I sleep regular hours in a comfortable bed surrounded by the cats, dogs, and DH.

Out here, I'm in cargo pants, steel-toe workboots, no makeup and a hard hat. No jewelry, not even a wedding band, as it would be a snag-hazard (watch with breakable strap is OK but that's it). I sit in the geology unit in front of the computer watching data coming from the drilling tools, or I'm checking the mudpits to examine the cuttings (bits of rock) coming out of the hole. I get dirty. I start when the early shift comes on at 6 AM and since there's not a lot else to do, I work until 8 or 9 PM, with breaks for meals and an hour at the "gym" (metal container on deck that has some weight equipment and a treadmill). Most of the galley meals involve fried food, and of course there is no alcohol on the rig - too many things out here that could hurt or kill you if you're not careful. Operations offshore are 24/7 so I'm always on call, so if something happens requiring a geologist at 1 AM - or whatever - they will wake me up. I sleep in a metal bunk bed in a 2 person room where the furnishings can best be described as minimalist. I will stay here until we finish this section of the well, which requires me being able to identify where that place is (there are a number of criteria that must be met for this). As best I can tell, that will probably - hopefully - happen on Thursday. But drilling frequently doesn't go exactly to schedule.

I'm not to whining, since first of all, I'm happy to have a job, especially one I enjoy. It's kind of fun to do something different and is a really good thing for me to remember what it takes "at the pointy end of the bit" as it were - in other words, the part that happens after I've done my normal job. And I do have internet and sat-phone for contact with the rest of the world. But I really hope I can be home for the weekend!

·
Registered
4,824 Posts
Ursuala, good to hear from you! Sounds like you have interesting work when there is actually stuff to do. One plus, I'd you probably get to see some stunning sunrises & sun sets.

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
Ursuala, good to hear from you! Sounds like you have interesting work when there is actually stuff to do. One plus, I'd you probably get to see some stunning sunrises & sun sets.
Oh yes just imagine those sunsets and sunrises!!!!
It DOES sound like you have a very interesting/versatile job!

·
Registered
6,118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The sunrise/sunsets are nice. When it isn't raining, which it is right now. And the rig is rocking and rolling! It's quite a bit different than my typical days...

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
I'm sure it gets old quickly, but it sounds like fun.

Also- Have you seen any of the Orca pods that have been spotted out in the Gulf?

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
The sunrise/sunsets are nice. When it isn't raining, which it is right now. And the rig is rocking and rolling! It's quite a bit different than my typical days...
Oh boy, sure hope you don't get motion sickness! :eek:

Sounds like an adventure, Ursula. Enjoy it while you can, and your own bed will never feel sweeter than your first night back home.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Kinda neat! You're the only "girl" that I know who works on a off-shore drilling rig. Stay safe - you'll be home before you know it.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Hey, we're always here to keep you company. I like the second job description. It sounds like fun. But like traveling for work, it becomes old, fast.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You have such a cool job, I'm very envious!!! :) Thank God you have internet access, huh?!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts