Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
638 Posts
Awful. The only bright spot in this, if there is one, is that a tornado watch in effect for that area almost 4 hours prior to the event, and a tornado warning was issued apparently about 20 minutes prior to Greensburg begin hit. I'm sure this is part of the reason why the number of folks killed or injured wasn't higher, given the degree of destruction.

Steve

·
Registered
28,830 Posts
It is horrific. But you just watch that midwest community rebuild itself. I've never seen anything like it but in this area of the country... neighbor helping neighbor, pulling together in a united humanitarian cause. Remarkable. God bless them all!

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
I heard a radio announcer say today that pictures of Greensburg look like pictures of bombed cities in WWII. He was right.

·
Registered
4,144 Posts
My brain was vaporlocking while trying to make sense of what it was seeing. Could that really be all that's left of an entire town? I almost can't take it all in, it's just such massive destruction. That tornado had to have been huge to cause that much damage, it's like the land was scoured clear of the structures and only heaps of displaced rubble appear here and there.

I have a horrible fear of needles, but our fire department is hosting a blood drive (scheduled before the disaster), as well as a clothing/canned goods/water/etc drive, and after seeing these images, I guess I'll go sacrifice an arm and some 'stuff'. It's the least I can do. I can't imagine the strength and courage it takes to get through something like this and rebuild.

·
Registered
2,188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is great speculation on this. . . but it is thought that the fact that Hwy 54 (US 400) runs through the town will encourage rebuilding and businessses.

It was classified as an EF-5 tornado.

Paddysmom said:
It is horrific. But you just watch that midwest community rebuild itself. I've never seen anything like it but in this area of the country... neighbor helping neighbor, pulling together in a united humanitarian cause. Remarkable. God bless them all!

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
My family lives near Hallam, Nebraska, which was totally devestated by a tornado three years ago. At least 80% of the houses and businesses were wiped out. It is totally surreal to be there and have to see houses of friends and colleagues just gone. I really feel for the people in this town and hope that they are able to keep a sense of community through all this.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
That is just unbelievable. Mother Nature's fury. :(

I can't help but think of all the animals (dogs/cats/livestock) that didnt' make it as well.

·
Registered
3,379 Posts
Besides the people, I also can't stop hurting for the animals lost. :'(

·
Registered
10,007 Posts
They found two more bodies, the count is up to 12.

B

·
0 Posts
My boss grew up 20 miles from there, his friends are starting to send him pictures. They're absolutely insane. It looks like something out of a horror film.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts