Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's the topic of the hour on the radio right now. A couple of people said they have enough Yankee candles for a lifetime... this guy is saying 80% of teachers don't eat any food items given (really?). But! A great idea!! A gift card to Staples or Office Max. I love that idea!!! My hopefully-future-daughter-in-law had to shell out alot of $$ out of pocket for supplies, as do most teachers.

Great idea!! :)

·
Registered
10,257 Posts
The teachers at our kids' school say they could decorate one ENTIRE tree w/all the teacher-related ornaments they've received over the years.

Sadly -- and the kids never know this, but it happens -- a majority of teacher gifts get tossed.....

Gift cards are THE way to go. Office supplies, yes. Also restaurant cards. Teacher salaries suck almost universally, and the chance to go out to eat as a treat w/a spouse, SU, or good friend is often the most appreciated of all.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
so true. both my ex-MIL and SIL were/are teachers. all the food items, lotions, bubble baths, etc. got regifted to whoever wanted to take them off their hands.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I hear ya, Sam! :D

Jared's girlfriend is a 1st year teacher for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade special ed. I wonder what kind of gifts she'll get? :)

·
Registered
14,287 Posts
I hear ya, Sam! :D

Jared's girlfriend is a 1st year teacher for 1st, 2nd and 3rd grade special ed. I wonder what kind of gifts she'll get? :)
Maybe it's just regional, but most parents here give gift cards exclusively. Last year for Anna's teacher, we all kicked in, $10 each from 26 students, on a gift card to Lululemon, their teacher's favourite store. Cheap for us, excellent for them!

·
Registered
6,548 Posts
With Riley in middle school this year, he had 5 teachers, so I didn't do gifts. They (the teachers organized and the classes participated) collected money for a family and bought them gifts. We gave to that.

In middle school, I did gift cards. Except one year when I completely spaced it and had to hit my personal stash of Bath & Body Works on the last day of school. :eek:

·
Registered
3,481 Posts
We got them a gift card to the shopping center here - which includes a teaching supply store and a day spa. :) I'm sure they won't have any trouble spending it. :p

It was attached to a carton of Crate & Barrel peppermint bark so I am guilty of food gifts! :)

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I guess it shows that I haven't had kids in grade school in 10+ years. :)

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
A few years ago the teacher's association in our school district asked that rather than purchasing gifts for teachers everyone participate whole-heartedly in the adopt a family program. In K-6th grade each class adopts a family, in 7th through 12th grade they are adopted by each homeroom. There are a ton of families that get to have Christmas because of this program. The kids get help other kids, and the teachers don't end up with a bunch of crap they don't want. I do give Office Max gift cards for end-of-year gifts.

·
Registered
10,664 Posts
A few years ago the teacher's association in our school district asked that rather than purchasing gifts for teachers everyone participate whole-heartedly in the adopt a family program. In K-6th grade each class adopts a family, in 7th through 12th grade they are adopted by each homeroom. There are a ton of families that get to have Christmas because of this program. The kids get help other kids, and the teachers don't end up with a bunch of crap they don't want. I do give Office Max gift cards for end-of-year gifts.
I like this idea.

Corporate policy forbids me from giving or recieving gifts from customers as I am a paid professional.

I would think School districts would adopt the same policy with teachers. It makes good sense. (My apologies to Yankee Candle should this become the norm.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts