Just Labradors banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading in another thread about grapes being bad for dogs? Never heard that one before. But for what it's worth, I fed my guys red and green grapes within the last couple of weeks and neither of them had any problems with their stool or otherwise?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,939 Posts
Rionoir said:
I fed my guys red and green grapes within the last couple of weeks and neither of them had any problems with their stool or otherwise?
But nonetheless, grapes (and raisins) are poisonous to dogs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,694 Posts
I believe they can enduce kidney failure...is this correct? Also btw onions are toxic to dogs as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,472 Posts
Try Googling "Foods poisonous to dogs" (or "...toxic...")

www.peteducation.com/category_summary.cfm?cls=2&cat=1939 - 23k

Actually, I didn't see a complete list on any one of them. Walnuts, macadamia nuts and white potatoes with green skins and sprouting eyes were left off some.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My post was not saying it's ok to feed them grapes, I was saying I didn't realize they were poisonous... but I wouldn't freak out if my dog got a handful of them by accident in the future either. They are probably similar to chocolate where most dogs need to ingest a good deal of it before they are even going to be sick...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,472 Posts
I wouldn't freak out if my dog got a handful of them by accident in the future either
While one or two may be overcome by most dogs, grapes and raisins are attractive to dogs because of their sweetness.

Feeding them a few could teach the dog to eat them so they might devour an unguarded pound of grapes or a box of raisins -- and that could cause death or serious chronic problems.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,653 Posts
Rionoir said:
My post was not saying it's ok to feed them grapes, I was saying I didn't realize they were poisonous... but I wouldn't freak out if my dog got a handful of them by accident in the future either. They are probably similar to chocolate where most dogs need to ingest a good deal of it before they are even going to be sick...
And if that's what you believe, that's fine. But that's your belief and your dog.

People do need to be aware that even in small amounts raisins and grapes can cause renal failure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
479 Posts
Just an FYI. I work in an Emergency Clinic and we have had several dogs hospitalized for grape/raisin toxicity after eating a small amount of grapes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,268 Posts
My husbands bosses Lab died after ingesting some out of the garbage. The wife had thrown out a bag of grapes going bad and the 7 year old girl went in to the garbage. She was dead by the next day from kidney failure. Terrible, terrible story.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,793 Posts
Yup, they're on the list. Better safe than sorry, right?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
I'm sorry to say that we used to feed Oona grapes, she loves them. That was before I read the article in Dog Fancy about 35 dogs dying of renal failure from grapes and raisins that year. Now she doesn't get any because you never know if thats the one that is going to send her to the hospital. BTW in that article there was one woman who was able to save her Springer Spaniel's life after eating a box of raisins, it cost her $6000.
Olie
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,812 Posts
My Jake counter surfed grapes and because of this forum I knew to get him to the vet. He was hospitalized for several days and had blood, urine tests for the next two weeks to watch for kidney failure. Our vet said we were very lucky to have brought him in since the first night his tests started to decline.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Just to be particular about information, my vet said that it is actually the skin of the grape that is toxic. The "meat" of the grape is safe. Told to me after I expressed concern about Piper having stolen some of my wine when I wasn't looking. Though alcohol is also really bad for dogs, so still need to keep her out of my wine.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,662 Posts
JackieG said:
Just to be particular about information, my vet said that it is actually the skin of the grape that is toxic. The "meat" of the grape is safe. Told to me after I expressed concern about Piper having stolen some of my wine when I wasn't looking. Though alcohol is also really bad for dogs, so still need to keep her out of my wine.
Especially if its red wine. They think that it is the tannins that are toxic to dogs, and the tannins are found in the grape skins. White wines don't have tannins.
Olie
 
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Top