Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like the idea of "grain-free" kibble for my dogs. I feed them Innova Evo large bites and they do great on it. But it has really raised in price - 60.00 for 28lbs! (used to be 48.00). So I am looking into something else - I know it won't be "cheap", but anything less than 60 would be nice. I happened to see "taste of the Wild" in it seemed to be good from the little reading I did. Anyone know anything about it - or other suggestions would be great.

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
My kids are all on Taste of the Wild, Pat. We alternate between the Bison and Fowl formulas.

They really do well on it and my picky eater, Murphy, gobbles it up. :)

·
Registered
3,514 Posts
Taste Of The Wild is better priced. I loved the coat my gal had on grainfree but it was WAY to calorie rich and fat and she gained too much weight. Even on 3/4 cup 2x a day. I was not about to feed her only 1/2 2x a day. I also could not afford the low fat version of grainfree that Wellness makes.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Taste Of The Wild is better priced. I loved the coat my gal had on grainfree but it was WAY to calorie rich and fat and she gained too much weight. Even on 3/4 cup 2x a day. I was not about to feed her only 1/2 2x a day. I also could not afford the low fat version of grainfree that Wellness makes.
I thought Taste of the Wild WAS grain-free - I looked at the ingredients and didn't see any grain listed - I'll have to check again - I was in a bit of a hurry and wasn't really planning on doing a food research at the time.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Just think, this could have been the very first post in our Health and Nutrition section...

·
Registered
10,307 Posts
Hershey Kisses has been on Costco's Kirkland Signature Chicken and Rice since about 9 months old. She loves it, has a great coat condition, and as long as it is working, I will stick with it.

40lbs for ~$22.50 last time I bought it. The dog food alone pays for the membership.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Potter eats the High Prairie Canine Formula of Taste of the Wild, and he does great on it. It really helped with problems he has with yeast and, while he used to be a picky eater, he gobbles this stuff up.

·
Registered
6,054 Posts
All of mine are on Wellness Core. It is about the same price as Taste of the Wild. I had a hard time deciding between the two--they are both excellent grain free foods. Core is about 46.00 for a 26 lb bag.

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
I've heard good things about Wellness Core. I didn't realize EVO had gone up in price - I just bought some last week for the same price as before :confused:

·
Registered
2,503 Posts
Pat, Henry is on Fromm Surf'n'Turf which has a moderate protein % (30, I think) as compared to some of the grain-frees. He was on Orijen (42% protein) and did horribly on it. He has been on Surf'n'Turf for almost a year and doing fabulously! :D

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
All of mine are on Wellness Core. It is about the same price as Taste of the Wild. I had a hard time deciding between the two--they are both excellent grain free foods. Core is about 46.00 for a 26 lb bag.
That's CHEAP! By me the cheapest I can find it is for $55 for the 26lb bag!!

TOTW was way cheaper, I believe. I had Abbey on the Salmon variety but it gave her really bad gas and stinky breath. We tried the High Prairie variety but that didn't work too well for her because it made her really itchy. We never got a chance to try the Wetlands formula, but if it were easily available, I would get it.

Abbey is on Wellness CORE and besides the price, it is awesome. Have had awesome results with it.

I had Abbey on the Evo Red Meat but it was wayyy too rich in protein for her and she had loose stools for the few months she was on it. :(

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Wellness Core and Innova Evo are the same price where I buy it... $58.00 for the 26 lb. bag (that is for the Chicken/turkey).

I'd love to find something less expensive and grain free as well but haven't seen anything around my area.

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
For those who use Wellness, sign up for their WELLPET CLUB and get coupons for a few bucks off. They send them out quite often, it does add up.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
We been on CORE Ocean formula but the price has gone up to ~$65 for a 33 pound bag. We're going to try TOTW fish version, it's almost $10 a bag cheaper and a bigger bag.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
I will say that the store where I buy my Innova does a frequent buyer thing. They punch your card, and when your card is punched out, you get a free bag. I've gotten 7 free bags already (26 lbs). So it's worth it to shop there :)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
My store as a deal like this too, buy 12, get one free - but I've yet to get a free bag cuz I also buy it from a different store sometimes, so it takes me a while to get that many bags. You're supposed to get all 12 within one year for the card to be valid, but they made a new one for me last month and put all new stickers on it - that was nice of them :)

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
TOTW is made by the same company (Schell & Kampeter) that makes Diamond Naturals (& Diamond, a cheaper, lower quality product, as well as the pricier Chicken Soup for the ..., and many other products including the Kirkland line sold only at Costco stores and which is similar to but not identical to Diamond Naturals). S&K's TOTW has pricier, better ingredients and a higher price/pound.

S&K has fairly consistently followed the marketing strategy of producing quality products, NOT advertising, but letting word of mouth promote their sales, while using the $$ savings from not advertising to lower prices.

While that seems (IMO) a risky strategy, it's worked well for them (and for us consumers -- my Puff eats Kirkland C&R -- about $23/40 lbs).

·
Registered
4,425 Posts
I miss Kirkland.. tuck was on it for a couple of years w/o a problem and then the ear infections came on full force.. we took the ride on the food roller coaster and finally landed on Blue Buffalo Holistic Salmon.. now koda's on it by default because i'd rather not buy 2 kinds of food for 2 dogs.. and she seems to be doing well on it..

I thought the $60/ 40 lb bag price tag was high.. but maybe not.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts