Just Labradors banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

So I have had the girls on Innova Evo Red Meat (grain free) for a few weeks and have noticed that both of their stools are pretty loose. Sasha had whipworms when we got her, but since then has been tested negative, and Abbey tested negative as well. They were both recently at the vet to get check ups and everything else came back perfect.. so I'm not sure what to do.

The grain free diet has worked wonders for Abbey. She had some skin allergies and "puppy acne," which has completely disappeared since she's been on this.. :D

Now I am not considering switching back to food with grain, but should I perhaps try another brand of grain free to see if it helps firm their stools up??

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Justine, Abbey and Sasha

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
I was feeding Rocky 3 cups Orijen a day (grain free) and he's 80 pounds.

But to answer your question, some dogs have trouble switching to a grain free diet. Sometimes it's a question of time though - I hear it takes 4mts + before you really know the impact of a new food (to cleanse their system of the last food)

Having said that, some dogs do well on one grain free and not so great on another. Just like grain foods, it's not a one fits all kinda deal.

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Tanya said:
But to answer your question, some dogs have trouble switching to a grain free diet. Sometimes it's a question of time though - I hear it takes 4mts + before you really know the impact of a new food (to cleanse their system of the last food)

Having said that, some dogs do well on one grain free and not so great on another. Just like grain foods, it's not a one fits all kinda deal.
Hmm. I am definitely committed to staying on grain free for the long run, but perhaps I should go ahead and try another brand of grain free. Thanks! :)

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
I switched mine to Innova Evo several months ago and I thought that it firmed their stools up. I've read both ways - some dogs seem to experience loose stools, other firmer stools. I feed them each 1 cup twice a day.

·
Registered
371 Posts
EVO here firms stools up very quickly (unless they have a bug).

I feed 2 cups of EVO to my 70lb boy and 75lb GSD. They run 2-6 miles a day (with me on the bike) so they get adequate exercise. I would think you would be feeding quite a lot. If you don't switch brands, I would try half a cup each feeding (your guys look pretty small) and see what that does. Even if they need more food later you can always adjust. You could also add some canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix) or plain (fat free) yogurt - a tablespoon to their kibble.

You could also try the white meat formula (original evo) - red meat does a number on my stomach...

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
Cinnamon and Cierra both eat Nature's Variety Chicken Instinct which is grain free with no poop problems.

I really really like this company. They use only US and Canada ingredients. Their production lines are never used to manufacture other foods which may contaminate them. They are very up front about any problems. Cinnamon had soft stools for a couple of weeks and we just blamed the tummy bug as she had been on this food for almost 2 years. When I went to get the website info for someone here I discovered some of the bags, including the one she was eating, was made with chicken meal that was too nutrient dense by a new manufacture they had contracted with due to increased demand. It gave some dogs problems. I took it back as instructed and it was switched out no questions ask I didn't even get ask for my receipt. I have found it is cheaper than some of the grain free on the market. They investigated as soon as some customers emailed them their dogs were having problems. http://www.naturesvariety.com/

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hmm. thanks for everyone's suggestions.. i'm going to cut them back even a little more. the bag says for their weight to feed 2 cups a day.. i cut that back to 3/4 cup 2x a day, I'll try 1/2 cup 2x a day, at least until this bag is gone.. if that doesn't help, i might try another kind or brand.

I'm definitely going to look into the Nature's Variety dog food... I've heard about it but haven't done much "research" ;)

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I've never tried the red meat. Rider is on the EVO regular with turkey and chicken and does awesome on it. He get's 1 cup twice a day, and the only time he gets loose stools is when he get's ghiardia or his tummy gets upset from something he doesn't normally eat.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
kal3idoscope, you might check your "one cup" measurements against the actual weight.

When I was checking my Kirkland's C&R and kcal count, I found my one cup measure was actually about 1 1/8th cup.

On EVO's website, I see they very helpfully list the weight of food a cup should contain. For the large kibble, it's 4,243 kcal/kg (124 g = 1 cup); 537 kcal/cup (4.4 oz = 1 cup)

I suggest you measure out a standard cup of dog food into a light plastic bag and take it to a friendly pharmacy and ask them to weigh it. Then ask them to remove enough to equal the weight "one cup" should be according to EVO's standards above (putting the excess into the second bag you've conveniently brought along for that purpose). THEN you can go home and see how high up a "true one cup" comes on the cup measure you usually use.

Puff's stools have been softer than I'd like for a long time but when I found I was overfeeding her and cut her back to a "true" one cup per meal, they've improved greatly although she complained she was starving.

So now I buy 5 lb. bags of frozen green string beans and cook up batches of those (no salt added), adding a handful of those to her nightly kibble and her complaints of starvation have stopped.

And her stools remain firmer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts