Just Labradors banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( Gracie normally never has any trouble with her ears. Yestarday I noticed one of her ears is very red. The problem is she is scared to death of ear wash, I can't even hold her still to clean them. Then she won't even come near me for hours. She is so smart..can't even fake her out by feeding something good to her while I try to clean them...Any suggestions

Also for some reason my vet said not to use purple stuff because it is not from the vet office...what do you guys think?

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Your vet said not to use an ear cleaner because you didn't get it from them.. well I don't like that. Sounds like they just want your $$ if they can't come up with any better reason than that.

How often do you get her to let you look at her ears? If they are red, they are probably inflamed and painful and cleaning them right now might make it worse. Kolby had a nasty ear infection and his canals were swollen and very painful. He needed a course of ear drops and steroids from the vet to clear them up.

Do you have a small room (bathroom, laundry room, etc) where you can lock her in to clean her ears?

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your vet said not to use an ear cleaner because you didn't get it from them.. well I don't like that. Sounds like they just want your $$ if they can't come up with any better reason than that.

How often do you get her to let you look at her ears? If they are red, they are probably inflamed and painful and cleaning them right now might make it worse. Kolby had a nasty ear infection and his canals were swollen and very painful. He needed a course of ear drops and steroids from the vet to clear them up.

Do you have a small room (bathroom, laundry room, etc) where you can lock her in to clean her ears?
She asked where I bought it and I told her a local groomer..she just turned her nose up and said "get rid of it" ...I used it once on Grace and it cleared her ears right up and it seems like alot of lab owners here on this board love it too. My thought about the $$ thing too

I am afraid to clean them because I am afraid it will burn..I am going to call the vet for appt on Tues. I took her in the bathroom w me and tried to look in her ears...I don't know why she is so afraid...she has never really even had a lot of trouble w her ears. Gracie has a lot of little quirks about her that I can not understand sometimes. It just breakes my heart to see her afraid of me. I let the vet look this week...hopefully it is a quick and easy fix.

·
Registered
13,524 Posts
I swear by the purple stuff. The couple of times Bauer has had red ears it has cleared them right up. I didn't even get it from a groomer, I made myself (with receipe from labby's website). Bauer doesn't like it either, but I just put him on a very short leash, take him outside, have him lay on his side and just do it. Bauer has never flinched or yipped so I don't think the purple stuff burns.

·
Registered
4,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swear by the purple stuff. The couple of times Bauer has had red ears it has cleared them right up. I didn't even get it from a groomer, I made myself (with receipe from labby's website). Bauer doesn't like it either, but I just put him on a very short leash, take him outside, have him lay on his side and just do it. Bauer has never flinched or yipped so I don't think the purple stuff burns.
Whay is Labbys web site...I would like to look at how to make purple stuff

·
Registered
3,575 Posts
I sometimes wipe the dogs' ears out with some witch hazel on a cotton ball. You may also want to ask the vet for some otomax. I keep it on hand just in case I need it.

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
Buck has chronic ear infections and hates having his ears cleaned.
The one thing that works really fast is Zymox (sp?) My vet prescribed it. All I have to do is some how manage to put in 3-5 drops in his ear and let it be for 3 days. Then clean and few more drops. It controls the inflammation, swelling etc. much better than anything else from the vet's.

I haven't tried the purple stuff yet but people on the forum swear by it! I need to make some and give it a try.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts