Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
8 Dogs here and only one dog who likes to take your hand with the treat. How do I fix that...to take "nice". He is skittish in nature and seems hesitant in taking it from our hand. When he does finally take it it is a quick not caring what hand part is in the area. I dont know why he is skittish... raised him just the same as 10 other dogs... I think it is just his nature...but I want to help him with this... suggestions please!!!!
Thankyou!!

·
Registered
4,737 Posts
Close your hand around a treat, present it to him and say nicely..open your hand if he goes to snatch close it quick and say no nicely. Or I used to withdraw method which is to pull your hand away and say nicely and represent the treat

·
Registered
9,429 Posts
Eight! You must have observed by now that even if they are brought up the same, they all have different personalities. Maybe Grabby isn't so skiddish as just over-sensitive. With eight, you must have at least one in there like my Judy who doesn't listen until you yell, who's always in trouble in need of correction. I found out that my Bruno, my Mr. Grabby, gets upset whenever he sees someone else getting corrected. Even if I give him something while saying "easy" in too firm of a tone, he tends to grab. I agree with Kaznalf, with emphasis on say no (or easy) nicely.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
BJ is the same way. I do what Kaznalf suggested and tell him nicely and present the treat with a flat hand. He is much gentler at home than at the park. There are several people at the park that bring treats and I have to ask them all to toss BJ his and he will catch it. And when he misses, the beagles are more than happy to clean up after him.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
My SD's puppy wil grab your fingers and the treat! She knows to give paw and does it very well. Learned very quickly that giving paw got her something! WE learned very quickly to keep our hands flat when giving them to her. She is slowly learning to chew the treat now. If only the other dogs would learn not to drop crumbs we would be set....

·
Registered
11,446 Posts
Toby will take off a couple fingers, too. I've been teaching him "gentle" which is the same thing as the "nicely" command Karen explained above.

Another suggestion is just to place the treat in your open palm, so there aren't any fingers in the way! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts