Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a couple of times about a receptionist job at a vet (cats only) clinic that I was going to apply for. The pay isn't great, but it's better than nothing.. and there's a chance to cross-train and also work as a vet assistant, which is more what I will need later. It's a small clinic with only 6 employees - 1 doctor, 1 vet tech, 3 vet assistants and 2 receptionists.

I'm very happy. I was kind of confused about whether or not I for sure got the job, since it wasn't really clear on Saturday. I went in for a few hours today, met a couple of the people and "shadowed" one of the other girls.

It's just kind of strange because there are literally 10+ cats running around at any one time. I like it! They are always coming to say "Hi" and want to be pet. :)

She said that I need to let her know by tomorrow if I want the job. I pretty much told her that something really bad would have to happen tomorrow to make me NOT want the job.

So then I will start training and getting paid on Wednesday. It's a bit overwhelming on the first day, as with most jobs, with everything being thrown at you at once, but I learn quickly, so it shouldn't be bad.

Now I am not sure what to do. I haven't told them yet about my 13-day trip to Texas that I already bought the ticket for. I'm definitely going to tell them and maybe see if I should pay to change the ticket so I'm only gone for a week or something...? It was a steal for the ticket.. only $216 round trip, so if I have to pay a bit to change it, it's not the worse thing in the world. I HAVE to go to Texas, but I don't have to be gone for that long. I just had nothing else planned, so I said "Why not?!"

·
Registered
22,832 Posts
Congrats on the job. I think I would be upfront about your trip. When are you leaving? If you tell them now then you can see how they feel about it & it may avoid problems when it comes time for you to leave. Plus I bet you will just worry about it if you don't say something. Let us know what happens. :)

·
Registered
6,990 Posts
Congrats! I would tell them about the trip and see what they say. Probably best to be up front about that.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Congratulations!! Definitely tell them about the trip tomorrow, and offer to shorten it if the think it would be a problem.

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm going to talk to them for sure. I know it's a long trip to take from work, but I did it before I got the job. I'll feel it out and see what they think. *sigh* 13 days in Texas sounds perfect, but I think I can deal with a week! :D

·
Registered
8,376 Posts
Yes the longer you leave it the more they'll be upset when they find out.

And just a question Justine - is this the vet's with the rude girl who spoke to you the other day?

·
Registered
11,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am SO happy you went there and applied even after the terrible conversation with Miss Rude Girl on the phone. Well done good for you!!
Yeah, I guess it was a bad day for that chick. Whatevs!

P.S. I sent out your package Wednesday (15th) so you should be getting that pretty soon. I sent you and Dave both shirts, so you'll have to let me know if they fit.. I only guessed at the sizes ;)

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
I agree tell them up front. I bet they will understand.

When I started the job I am in now 27 years ago I was very honest when they offered it to me. I told them flat out my college room mate was getting married the week they wanted me to start and I was in the wedding party and had to be there (I would have turned down the job if I had to make a choice it was that important to me). I offered to cut my time down and go only when I absolutely had to be there. But they had me start the next week instead...they were very understanding and didn't want me rushing and missing things because of a job.

·
Registered Users
10,466 Posts
Well done girl. :)

As the others said, be up front about it. If they want you bad enough, there'll still be a job for you when you get back.

Oh & FGS, teach that rude b*tch some phone manners before you go away. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Congrats on the job! :) And yes, just tell them about the trip upfront and see what they can work out with you. I've worked in a small clinic with only 3-4 people and gotten vacation time as long as I asked early enough.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts