Just Labradors banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have also been looking for a new dogmobile (235,000 miles on the Saturn). I had narrowed it down to a Rav4, Subaru Forester for Honda Element. Well, I took a test drive on a 2008 Element on Friday, and came home with it Saturday :D :D :D They only had 2 left (no 2009 in yet) , is silver and black - not my first choice, but OK - and it is 2-toned, which I really like - the 2009's are no longer going to be 2-toned. It also had a black/grey interior, which I was trying to avoid due to yellow dogs, but since there is no carpet, it shouldn't be too bad. The test drive is what sold me - I really like how it feels and handles. I'm going to remove one of the back seats, and will have plenty of room for 2 dogs. SU was in big shock, but went along with it. (he expected me to drive the Saturn for 2.5 more years - wasn't going to happen) Felicia - I think the dogs would love one!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE PAT EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

SUH-WEET!!! :D

I looked at one yesterday, but haven't test driven it yet!! The only 08 left on the lot here is a manual (which I know how to drive in theory, but not in reality lol) but the 09s are coming in at the same price as the 08s.

I'm stoked to test drive it now! :D

The one I'm looking for is an 09 LX, either silver or white.

Are you going to put crates up in the back??

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
Anne, the EX does, at least here in Canuck-land... not sure about the US. LX is the base trim line, then EX, then SC.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Couple of questions...how many Labs do you think can lay down in there (w/o crates)? Also, do you have to open the driver door to get to that passenger door? If so, does that make it more tricky to keep the dogs from escaping? I love it, it looks great!

·
Registered
8,752 Posts
bbbmom said:
Couple of questions...how many Labs do you think can lay down in there (w/o crates)? Also, do you have to open the driver door to get to that passenger door? If so, does that make it more tricky to keep the dogs from escaping? I love it, it looks great!
At least a half dozen. ;)

Yep, you have to open the driver or front passenger door first before opening the suicide door.

·
Registered
7,352 Posts
You are looking good. I am jealous.

I have been looking also considered the Element until someone here told me it is tough on old knees to get into the back. I am really looking for something to transport mom and dad sometimes so we don't have to take their van all the time. In addition to hauling Cinnamon.

I have tried a few test drives like the Forrester, the Rav4 and CRV but what I really liked was the 2009 Ford Escape. Better gas mileage, yes it is a bit boxy but I don't mind that. It rode well and Ford has offered to put the steps on for no cost under their handicap conversion program as before I even test drove it I took mom. She cannot get into the Saturn Vue or Rave 4 without steps she can the CRV barely and could the Escape but when I told the guy I wanted to just try getting her in and out only as that was a weeding out tool he said they could do that and put in a hand grip thing like is standard in her van as it makes it easier for her. As we share the same address even though her name won't be on the vehicle they would make the conversions for free. Besides my company is getting ready to buy some Fords and we can tack on at their fleet price per the guy that was at our benefits fair.

·
Registered
8,657 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it would hold ALOT of dogs with the back seats out, and no crates. And even though we just bought a new vehicle (or maybe because of it), money is going to be really tight for quite a while (stagnet paychecks, increasing costs) and I have to be careful with "extras". I would like to get at least one crate to carry Emilu in and just leave it in the vehicle. I really wanted 2 crates, one for each dog, but Skippy is so big and tall that he takes a really large crate, and I'm not sure I can afford one just for him. My crates aren't really ones that go well in a car, so I'll have to buy something new for it. Right now I'm going to take the back seat on the passenger side out and put a fleece pad there for Emilu, and get a piece of carpet for the back for Skippy (so it's not slippery). The way the doors open is one of the things that I don't exactly care for, but I don't think that the dogs will "escape" any easier - they can't get around the front seat to get out the front door opening, so you still have control with back door. You also can't open the back door without opening the front door, so PEOPLE can't get out be themselves - you have to open the front door first . I don't like this, but I hardly ever carry anyone in the back, so won't have that much problem with it. I've talked to alot of people who own one, and it doesn't seem to be a problem -no vehicle is perfect. The gas milage could be better - 20-24 mpg, but I usually get a little better than whatever the vehicle says it gets, so I hope I do with this one too. It just looks SO CUTE sitting in the garge :happy:

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
azlab said:
You are looking good. I am jealous.

I have been looking also considered the Element until someone here told me it is tough on old knees to get into the back. I am really looking for something to transport mom and dad sometimes so we don't have to take their van all the time. In addition to hauling Cinnamon.

I have tried a few test drives like the Forrester, the Rav4 and CRV but what I really liked was the 2009 Ford Escape.

I've had the 2009 Escape for about 6 weeks now. I really like it a lot. It is my company car, but it is certainly something I would buy if I was in the market.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I have an Element and LOVE IT!!

If you take out the back seats and put in a dog barrier you can easily get 4 large labs in the back no problem.

It's great. We go they get muddy dirty etc and then I just take a wet towel and wipe it out and it's clean again!

It is hard to get in and out of the back if you have bad knees. But mine usually has the back seats out because we are always transporting the pups in it.

Gas milage is good in it as well. I have had mine for about 2 years and it's an automatic.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Felicia...

Did you measure to see if you can fit crates????

I put a platform on top of the wheel well and side pockets...but it was impossible to get 2 36" wire crates in. I fit 1 wire, and one squished mesh crate. I'd take 2 crates with you to test drive. Maybe you can go smaller, but Stubby is HUGE and he is borderline shouldn't be in a 36" and Grace is even taller and longer, but she will go in the 36" for car rides and be fine - so I couldn't downgrade to 30" which do fit side by side facing the back!

·
Registered
4,595 Posts
Very nice. Congrats!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.