Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Washburn University's School of Nursing has a mobile laboratory van which gives low cost ($13 USD) cholesterol screenings. Every couple months, it's at the "Y" after my morning physical fitness class.

I'd gotten mine checked by them several months ago but had eaten an apple earlier that morning and, to be valid, the readings need to be done with overnight fasting. So I was eager to see what my readings would be w/o any eating. And, on my own, I've reduced my Lipitor from 20 mg. to 10 mg/day; sure would like to eliminate entirely taking any statins.

Drum roll ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Desired values in brackets]

Total Cholesterol [below 200 mg/dL]______________154 mg/dL
HDL (Healthy Cholesterol)[above 60 mg/dL__________61 mg/dL
Triglycerides [less than 150 mg d/L]______________119 mg/dL
LDL (Lousy Cholesterol)[less than 150 mg/dL]_______69 mg/dL

Blood Glucose [less than 101 mg/dL]_______________78 mg/dL

Blood Pressure [less than 120/80]_________________110/78* (*taken 10' after 60 min. exercise)
_
BMI/Body Mass Index [above 18.5, below 25.0]_______24.6

So, it looks like I'm on the right path: SCOs & skim milk every breakfast, mainly fish and chicken for meat (seldom any red meat), nuts & fruits, almost never any desserts, daily exercise.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Denny said
I wonder how many cups of coffe bob drinks
Zero cups of coffee.

Years ago, when I was a state gov't bureaucrat, reports were published that drinking 5+ cups of coffee a day doubled one's risk of having a heart attack. So I switched from coffee to tea (no sugar, no cream).

Been drinking it ever since -- 5 - 10 cups/day, now mainly of Chinese Keemun, Formosa Oolong, occasionally Chinese Green Gunpowder, always brewed in a pot from loose leaves, never tea bags :eek: .

A few years after that coffee report, the results were refuted but by then I'd made the switch and comfortably stay with tea.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Nice work, Bob! How do you like Lipitor? My dad has been taking it for a couple of years now and loves it, but I have also heard many complaints.

·
Registered
8,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do you like Lipitor? My dad has been taking it for a couple of years now and loves it, but I have also heard many complaints.
10 years ago, my internist wanted me on a statin to bring down my cholesterol; I tried several with similar results -- severe leg cramps, some daily, after a few months.

So I tried lowering it without using a statin by diet and exercise. He thought it still was too high, Total C probably about 220, so I tried 20 mg/day of Lipitor again (because cramping had taken longer to develop on it) and using quinine sulfate p.r.n. to relieve any cramping (maybe 4-8X/yr.).

Recently on my own, I've cut the Lipitor to 10 mg/day hoping with my increased amounts of daily/weekly exercise and changes in diet, all that would be enough. It looks like it is -- but I'm really hoping to entirely eliminate taking a statin.

I'll drop these results by my internist's office tomorrow with a note on the amount of Lipitor I'm currently taking. (But next, I'm going to try taking 10 mg of Lipitor every other day and retest again in a couple months :D.)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Wow, Bob. Those are some impressive numbers. Keep up the good work!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Great work Bob!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts