Just Labradors banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
10,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yep I do. I really do.
He's a sweet drunk.
There is something about the newspaper business that equals -- drunkeness.
My boss gets drunk nightly. He has for years and years.
Two nights in a row this week we've had major systems problems ... to where we did not make deadline, which is a MAJOR thing in the newspaper world. Working with my boss on the phone when he's drunk is so much fun... seriously, he's a sketch, but we don't achieve much.
Anyway.. to make a long story short, last night he calls me around midnight and tells me that since I've been through the problem he wants me to talk about it at the weekly Wednesday meeting the department has. First of all, they have this meeting during the day (I work night shift). Secondly, I do NOT do speeches/instruction to department heads. I just don't. I'm a peon. I like being a peon. So I told my boss, "Sorry, but it ain't happening." The line went dead. I said, "Hey, did you hang up on me." Silence for a few more seconds. Boss says, "No... it's just that.. nobody has ever said no to me before." I told him again I wasn't doing it.

Today when I came in I promised myself to stick to my guns about it. But in the back of my mind I knew he wouldn't even remember the conversation. He came out to talk to me about the problems and some of the fixes our network guy did. Never once did he mention about me giving the instructional speech to the department heads. Ha! I knew he wouldn't remember, and I certainly didn't volunteer to remind him.

I really do like him.. and he really is a sweet drunk :)

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
What a riot!

My old boss from the Bird Sanctuary is a major drunk also. He probably has more than a pint of whiskey every night. He too is a funny drunk. For as long as I have known him (29 years now) he has never been a mean drunk. Funny, I have encountered the exact same situations with him as you describe. He's say some thing or ask to do something (work related of course) 90% of the time he would never even remember saying it! Sometimes I came off as brilliant when I would do as he asked and he did not remember asking to do it and yet I would just "know" that it was to be done!

·
Registered
21,715 Posts
I am glad he is a great boss, they can be hard to come by. Is he the same when he is sober as drunk? I kind of feel sorry for him but mostly for his family. Hope he has his life insurance paid up. With what sounds like a very stressful job, and his life style he sounds like a ticking time bomb! We had a friend who was like your boss, the friendliest, hardest working, do anything for you kind of man, loved his family to pieces..... Died of a stroke at age 61 way too young!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Hopefully he stays put once drunk and isn't out driving around on a nightly basis since it won't seem so sweet if he kills himself or someone else while loaded.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
Hopefully he stays put once drunk and isn't out driving around on a nightly basis since it won't seem so sweet if he kills himself or someone else while loaded.
Yes, that. He's drunk every single night??!!

·
Banned
2,041 Posts
lmao . I wish my boss was a sweet drunk .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts