Just Labradors banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Google has unveiled a new part of their Maps site--street view. From http://slashdot.org/articles/07/05/30/0126209.shtml:

Today at the O'Reilly Where 2.0 Conference Google unveiled two new map features. An O'Reilly blogger describes Street View, which uses 360-degree street-level video from Immersive Media to enable neighborhood walk-throughs in (for now) a few selected areas. The other new feature is Mapplets, which let you embed Google Maps mashups in any Web page.
So my street is one of the first ones they mapped! So I click on my address, and what do I see? My house! With my car parked in front of it. And I zoom in on my car, and what do I see? MY LICENSE PLATE, 100% readable. :eek:

I'm not sure how I feel about this. (And no, you can't have my address to see for yourself. :p )

You can check it out (generally speaking) at http://maps.google.com/help/maps/streetview/index.html.

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Fun!!!!

Well, not the license plate part...you can't see that on the cars in my 'hood

·
Registered
16,679 Posts
Ohhh wait nvm my street isn't on the street view thing just the maps part

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right now it's just San Francisco and a few surrounding towns, Denver, NYC, Miami, and Las Vegas. I think.

B

·
0 Posts
Brilliant. Are they taking pictures of streets and your car just happened to be there when they took a picture? I didn't watch the little video thing...can't do sound at work right now.

·
Registered
16,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
BudGirl8 said:
Brilliant. Are they taking pictures of streets and your car just happened to be there when they took a picture?
Yes. They drove around a little VW Bug with an 11-sided camera mounted on top, taking continuous pictures. You can look into the window of my office at work, too (all you can see is the blinds, though!).

·
Registered
762 Posts
I doubt I have to worry any time soon. We're not even on the regular map yet. We're in a new development and they said they don't update the maps until the building is all the way done. It's been 3 yrs so far.... :-\

1 - 12 of 12 Posts