Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bo is at home with a hole in his chest. Little brother bit him last week and it decided to absess. Bo is not happy. They were suppose to be neutered this week, but Bo is at a halt for that. Luke is going in still, but that isn't going to solve the aggression issues that Bo has towards him. Hopefully, in a couple weeks I can reschedule Bo's surgery and be on the road to no more testosterone. It isn't a quick fix, but just taking the edge off would help.

I am at my wits end with the non-stop growling and bickering. It doesn't always end up in a scuffle, but when it does (once every 2 months or so) it tears on my nerves and heart strings.

Good thoughts are needed all around in this household. We have Cain and Abel syndrome. (And getting rid of one is not an option at this point. I am exhausting my options before thinking about that.)

Thanks for any positives that you can give.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You got it.
I didn't realize they didn't get along very well. :(

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
jzgrlduff said:
You got it.
I didn't realize they didn't get along very well. :(
Actually, they get along great, until one leaves the room and comes back in. They sleep together, play together, everything. Have since day 1. Their issues start when one is getting more attention than the other, one has something that the other wants, or the pecking order needs to be reestablished when one returns to a room. Neither one wants to back down. Bo is usually the one who starts the low growling. I have caught Luke cutting his eyes, but not all the time.

I have spoken to a behaviorist and the first suggestion, after implementing the crates, was neutering. They used to not really have their own separate areas, and the crates resolved that. Things have been ok for several months, but this past week (I have been traveling alot, and that may be a major factor) they have been practically trying to kill each other. Time and money are not on my side.

·
Registered
10,230 Posts
Good luck I hope the abcess heals and Jakes surgery goes ok and you can get Bo fixed soon too. Hopefully it will help some.

·
Registered
577 Posts
I am sorry to hear this. I guess I have been lucky with my boys because (knocking on wood quickly) they have never had any issues with each other. There is the occasional "back off" warning over toys, but that is all. They were both neutered when they were just at a year old so maybe that helped. Good Luck and I hope that Bo feels better soon.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
They had another growling fit at 4:15 this morning. In their crates; can't even see each other. ::) Geez.

Even this morning, I took Bo outside by himself. Brought him back in and he prepared for a fight. He started growling before we ever got in the door. Luke wasn't anywhere around, he was still in his crate in the other room. I just hope that this is all because Bo is hurting.

·
Registered
13,418 Posts
Best thoughts coming for a quick recovery and a resolution.

·
Registered
5,187 Posts
You are in a very tough situation. I had that same situation with my 9 mth old inact male Rottie and an 18 mth old neutered male Rottie I was fostering. Neither would back down and they would fight to the death. I was lucky in that the foster was eventually leaving my home but it was a very tough 6 months for all involved.

I really hope neutering them both gives you some peace. It just isn't realistic to think you can keep them separated forever otherwise. When I first got the foster I was walking them together and they got into a fight with each other when a female dog approached them. That one was particularly bad because I had coupled the dogs together on one leash. I got bit trying to uncouple one of the dogs so I could get them separated. The next time my SU got bit trying to separate them when they got into a fight over me. The last straw was when my poor dad came to my house to let the dogs out one day while I was at work, not realizing they couldn't go out together. He got bit trying to separate that fight by himself. That's when I decided the dogs were never going to work it out and they had to be kept separated until the foster left. :( They had many days where they were good together but I just never knew what would set them off so it was better to play it safe. It was very stressful and no one was happy, including me.

·
Registered
2,623 Posts
I'm sorry to hear of this problem. How old are the boys? Have you gotten them to obedience (or other training) separately? Maybe they just need more mental or physical exercise and are unhappy. I have 6 girls here (4 intact) and haven't had any trouble, but we do one on one training also. They all live together the rest of the time, all house dogs that get the run of 5 A fenced.

-Anne

·
Registered
16,476 Posts
A nerve racking situationn for sure.
Sending good thoughts that they can settle once neutered.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts