Just Labradors banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am beside myself. My son had a really severe asthma attack last week and was hospitalized for two days. Well, now everyone is blaming Star, saying she must have caused his asthma attack, it has to be because he is allergic to dogs. I am absolutely frantic at the idea. We have had Star for eight months and Jonathan's allergies have not seemed any worse, and he didn't have any problems when my grandmother's pug was alive. Of course, I realize that you can develope allergies over time, but I just can't stand to think of him being allergic to his hest friend. Jonathan has aways had seasonal allergies and was diagnosed with asthma when he was two, but it has always been under control. This episode was scary and now everyone is verbally attacking poor Star and telling me she's the problem so it is really raising my already high stress level. I am going to have him allergy tested to find out for sure what he is allergic to, so everyone please send some good thoughts and prayers our way that Joanthan won't be allergic to dogs.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,695 Posts
My son had severe allergies and asthma and we always had dogs and cats. He did fine with allergy shots. Good luck.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Ugh, I feel for your stress levels. Ignore opinions & wait till you get the facts at this point. Then figure out what you can do to work with the facts. In the meantime keep your chin up and allergy shots are an excellent thing to think about. My mom's allergy doctor is a big advocate to aggressive allergy shots & building up immunity. It seems to have worked pretty well for her. Hope it works out well!

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
oh no...my daughter is allergic to cats and dogs, we have both. But I have noticed some dogs bother her more than others...we have her on daily medication (she had to take it anyway because of her allergy to other stuff) and she does great with our animals. We do bathe the dogs once a month (our doctor suggested once a week but that was too much) and I think it helps keeping the dander down. Also, I notice when gus licks her she will break out in hives. So I try to remind her not to let gus lick her, but I only notice that with gus. So I think some dogs have more of what they are allergic to then others.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks everyone. I think I am freaking out prematurely, everything has just been such a blur since last Monday and I haven't taken the time to really step back and take it all in.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts