Just Labradors banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She just found out she's pregnant. This is an unplanned pregnancy. She has struggled with major depression for the last ten years and was heavily medicated until she found out about the baby. I'm praying that the baby will be born healthy and that my cousin will do alright without her drugs. She is very excited about the baby and the wedding- so hopefully that's a good sign.

·
Registered
2,653 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks guys.

I found out a bit more about the situation last night. She's six weeks pregnant. She found at four weeks that she was pregnant and stopped all anti-depressants, etc, at that point. Her boyfriend is still in college, and they are getting married in June.

·
Registered
44,122 Posts
You got it, Laura.

My sister was in a similar situation (depression & meds) when she found out she was pregnant at 43. She stopped taking everything immediately and the baby is perfectly healthy. He's 2-1/2 now and they're both doing fine.
:angel:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Sending good thoughts her way. There are anti-depressants that are safe to take during pregnancy - perhaps she should try speaking with her doctor about them. Simply stopping the a/d's can sometimes have tragic results in someone struggling with serious depression. I know she wants what's best for her baby, but she needs to take care of herself as well. The hormones that come along with pregnancy can throw anyone for a loop and are evern harder on someone who has emotional issues. I have a friend who took anti-depressants during the first 2 trimesters and slowly weaned off during the 3rd, she would have been a complete wreck without them. She ended up going back on medication shortly after the birth of her daughter and was even able to breastfeed while taking it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts