Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There is something wrong with my poor baby. I came home just a bit ago and Guthrie is NOT himself. Mom said he ate dinner but not enthusiastically. Peed and pooped fine. Temp 104.

The only thing after a full check of him is a large area on his top gum line that looks almost like he got struck with something that caused bleeding. :(

I have appt at vet tonight at 8:45. I am pacing waiting to take him there. :(

I can't bear seeing him sick.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Oh Megan, isn't just the worst feeling when you just don't know what's wrong with them? That's great you were able to get vet appt tonight... and so late. WHat vet do you use?

Please update when you get home ok?

·
Registered
869 Posts
Hope everything is okay with Guthrie. Please update when you can.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Oh nooo; good that you can get him into the vet tonight. That temp. sounds serious - hope the vet can promptly figure out what's causing it and provide a speedy remedy.
Healing thoughts and wishes for Guthrie tonight and tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
talleyJudy said:
Oh nooo; good that you can get him into the vet tonight. That temp. sounds serious - hope the vet can promptly figure out what's causing it and provide a speedy remedy.
Healing thoughts and wishes for Guthrie tonight and tomorrow.
104 isn't really that high, normal temp for a dog is 101-102. Hoping it's nothing serious.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
104 isn't really that high, normal temp for a dog is 101-102. Hoping it's nothing serious.
Yeah, I know. I actually thing it can even be as high as 102.5 and be normal. But he is definately not right. It actually might be a big higher than that...I only kept the darn thing in about 30 seconds because he would not stand still. I'll have to remember to pick up one of those digital quick read thermometers next time I am out. I am always afraid of them breaking the mercury ones.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just back from the vet. Temp up to 104.6 at the office. White count up. Other labs OK. Urine and stool Negative. Vet feels that darkened area across upper gum is ulcerated and may be from a spider bite. He said be prepared for this to slough off and for teeth to possibly fall out. :(

On cocktail of antibiotics. Cipro, Flagyl and Amoxicillin. We follow back up in 3 days.

Thank you all for keeping Guthrie in your thoughts. I am so grateful.

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
Wow! I never heard of the possibility of teeth falling out after a spider bite. Poor baby!!! :( Keep us updated, and I hope he feels better soon.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi all,
Thanks for keeping Guthrie in your thoughts. He is feeling better this morning but still not himself. No desire for walk or play but did get excited for breakfast.

Here is a picture of what the area on his gums looks like.

I more than likely misunderstood the vet about teeth "falling" out. He probably said he might loose the teeth.

I am still not 100% convinced it is a spider bite. I have yet to see a spider in the house this year. Yesterday morning my Mom said he was outside playing like crazy with the rubber lid to a trash can. It is so cold and it is hard....seems more likely this is trauma related but vet does not think so. CPK was normal and he felt it would be up if this was the cause. They could not find any other reason for the temp.

So, another mystery ailment for now.

·
Registered
23,457 Posts
Wow, that certainly looks like trauma. :( Poor boy, I hope Guthrie is feeling lots better real soon!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts