Just Labradors banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Got a call from the vet's office tonight. Guthrie's titers came back fine. No vaccinations needed!

I am so happy because I decided against given him one year boosters because of that horrid allergic hive reaction he had. At one year old his titers were fine and are still holding steady at 2 years! I am hoping Dr Dodds is right and we have immunity for life!

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Great news!!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Got a call from the vet's office tonight. Guthrie's titers came back fine. No vaccinations needed!

I am so happy because I decided against given him one year boosters because of that horrid allergic hive reaction he had. The one year titers were fine and are still holding steady at 2 years! I am hoping Dr Dodds is right and we have immunity for life!
Good news for Guthrie! I am bugged that Dee's distemper titer came back low after less than two years. Parvo was fine and adenovirus was actually stronger, but distemper was only 1/10.....which they consider needs boostering.

·
Registered
4,176 Posts
Excellent news! I'm going to be asking my vet about the Titer Test. I'd only heard of it recently ... obviously its not something I have to worry about immediately though.

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Good news! What was Guthrie titered for?

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
You know, I went to Dr. Dodds Vaccine seminar this spring and the immunologist that spoke(I forgot his name) spoke about the fact that even a low titer gives some immunity...and there was something about non reacters. I had found it interesting because I had to have a measles booster freshman year college. It is now almost 20 years since that booster and my titer says that I should have another one. Friends that did not have boosters as adults have come back with titers that are perfect. I decided to pass on another booster.

How many people get titers done as adults. How many are walking around with low titers? If I even got another booster would it keep my titer up? I am exposed to a lot more than my dogs is....around crowds of people and stuff....so if I choose not to reboost myself I am not 100% sure I would reboost my dog.

Another thing that I was amazed about was how many dogs are simply not vaccinated at all. It was amazing. But they are essentially reaping the benefits of us vaccinating our dogs...Herd immunity is what it is called. Because we are making sure our dogs are not going to spread disease it helps keep other dogs from getting sick

Not saying that you should not try and reboost but if you did reboost and found that it was low again i am not sure I would continue to do it.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Good news! What was Guthrie titered for?

Parvo, distemper and adeno. He got a Lepto vaccine because we are close to woods and open ponds streams. Lepto is a vaccine that does not give immunity...it has to be repeated every year...actually I dont' even think it is suppsed to give a years worth of immunity.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Is Guthrie named after Arlo or Woodie? :)

Kevin
Hi Kevin,
Actually neither. When people ask I do say "like Woody Guthrie" because otherwise the next time they see him they call him Gunther(yuck). I had compiled a list of names over a year after the loss of my last lab and when I went back over it prior to picking up my pup low and behold there was his name in the number one spot. I never remember putting it there. I looked it up and it means "windy place" and because Guthrie was born during a late april nor' easter I thought it was perfect.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
You know, I went to Dr. Dodds Vaccine seminar this spring and the immunologist that spoke(I forgot his name) spoke about the fact that even a low titer gives some immunity...and there was something about non reacters. I had found it interesting because I had to have a measles booster freshman year college. It is now almost 20 years since that booster and my titer says that I should have another one. Friends that did not have boosters as adults have come back with titers that are perfect. I decided to pass on another booster.

How many people get titers done as adults. How many are walking around with low titers? If I even got another booster would it keep my titer up? I am exposed to a lot more than my dogs is....around crowds of people and stuff....so if I choose not to reboost myself I am not 100% sure I would reboost my dog.

Another thing that I was amazed about was how many dogs are simply not vaccinated at all. It was amazing. But they are essentially reaping the benefits of us vaccinating our dogs...Herd immunity is what it is called. Because we are making sure our dogs are not going to spread disease it helps keep other dogs from getting sick

Not saying that you should not try and reboost but if you did reboost and found that it was low again i am not sure I would continue to do it.
Unfortunately I have to kennel Dee occasionally which requires either annual vaccinations or annual titers that are considered in the "good" range......so it's annoying that distemper was low. Whether the distemper being at 1/10 would leave her immunity compromised should she be exposed I have no idea. I'm also puzzled by the fact her adenovirus titer was way higher than last year. Does this mean she was likely exposed and mounted a defense response? Touch wood she hasn't had a bad reaction to vaccines in the past, so hopefully she won't in the future. I was really hoping to spin it out to three years between vaccinations by doing the titering in the years between. I have to admit that I don't feel totally confident that she's covered knowing that that one titer came back low. Odds are she may still be covered, but there's that little doubt. I talked to my Vet about it and he knows how I feel, but the fact is that there really isn't any point in titering if I'm not going to follow some protocol and vaccinate when we get a low titer. Not really a choice anyway because of needing to board once in awhile. I'm glad Guthrie's titers came back good....especially considering his previous reactions.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Unfortunately I have to kennel Dee occasionally which requires either annual vaccinations or annual titers that are considered in the "good" range......so it's annoying that distemper was low. Whether the distemper being at 1/10 would leave her immunity compromised should she be exposed I have no idea. I'm also puzzled by the fact her adenovirus titer was way higher than last year. Does this mean she was likely exposed and mounted a defense response? Touch wood she hasn't had a bad reaction to vaccines in the past, so hopefully she won't in the future. I was really hoping to spin it out to three years between vaccinations by doing the titering in the years between. I have to admit that I don't feel totally confident that she's covered knowing that that one titer came back low. Odds are she may still be covered, but there's that little doubt. I talked to my Vet about it and he knows how I feel, but the fact is that there really isn't any point in titering if I'm not going to follow some protocol and vaccinate when we get a low titer. Not really a choice anyway because of needing to board once in awhile. I'm glad Guthrie's titers came back good....especially considering his previous reactions.

Yeah...that kinda sucks. I can understand what you are saying...you just want to make sure she is protected. Hopefully she just need this reboost and her titer will come back fine next year. Where do you live? I was thinking that vaccines were moved to every three years now...are kennels still requiring every year?

I think the higher titer for Adeno is just what you said..she was probably naturally revaccinated by some exposure. I don't actually know what Guthrie's levels are...at his one year visit and at this two year visit the vet just said all looks good. I should get a copy and look so we can compare..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts