Just Labradors banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ran into Bob (Apartment Manager) downstairs.

Two units on the first floor are opening up in a couple of months. This is significant because I CAN GET A DOG if I live on the first floor.

WOOO HOOOOOOO!!!!

Now... Bob would have probably let me have a small dog upstairs (but would have been pretty strict about it being 30 lbs or very close).. but on the ground floor I think I can convince him to let me have anything I choose (within reason) Apparently the new owners of the building have pretty much left it up to him as to what he will allow.

Given that I had Ender here for four months really helps me because I can say...

"Bob... you know me... did I pick up after Ender?"
"Bob... you know me... wasn't Ender a very well behaved dog?"

I'm so relieved. This is going to solve many problems at once. My apartment is ridiculously cold in the winter (windows leak like sieves) and unbearably hot in the summer (I'm actually worried a dog might suffer in my apartment a few months of the year... I'd have to leave my AC on the entire day so he could hang out in the bedroom)

I won't have the stress of dealing with finding a new place and putting down a security deposit and giving 2 months notice here and trying to coordinate move in/move out dates according to leases. The financial part of this I could swing... probably... but it would be tough dealing with the financial part AND the stress at once.

AND... it won't even be a difference in rent! (Cause if they allow me to get a dog I'll sign a year lease... bringing me down $25... which is the amount of "pet rent" I'd have to pay when I get a dog)

SO! The person whose apartment I'd probably be taking over is leaving in a month but Bob is going to have to do some work on it... hmm... maybe I can get it painted too while he's at it! So I probably can move in sometime before September (when school starts).

SO... OFF TO FIND THE PERFECT PUPPY NO?!

I'm so excited. Now my options are much more open.

Part of me really really really wants to get a lab but part of me says smaller shelter dog... let it be a mutual "rescue"... I know I need it. ;)

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
LOL.. you know me... I'll be a picture FIEND.

And yesterday I finally got my rebate from Apple... $330 for the dog fund!

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Good news! But, double check on the deposit thing. Your apartment situation might be different, but here, if I wanted to move to a different apartment in the same complex, I would have to fill out an application plus pay deposits, even though I've lived here 4 years. They don't just transfer the deposit. Stupid, but it might be because it's owned by a cooperation. Maybe offer to help Bob paint the new place. Being on the ground floor might be cooler during the hot months, heat rises and all that stuff.

·
Registered
15,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I specifically asked Bob what would the deal be regarding giving notice... deposit... etc. He said I wouldn't need to give notice since I was just switching apartments... and the only thing that would change is an additional $25 for pet deposit... and if I signed a year lease I'd go down $25. I'm switching between two one bedroom apartments that are all the same price.

And yes... I'm elated to get a cooler apartment in the summer. The windows in the lower apartments aren't like the ones in my current one (so I assume winters will be much warmer)... he says the guy that lives in the apartment I'd probably move into "can walk around in his underwear all winter" (okay... eww... I don't think I needed to know that thanks!)

·
Registered
11,079 Posts
Sounds like the moon and the stars are aligning. Better take advantage of this. :)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts